[Vision2020] Boycotts Ineffective?

Amy & Richard Newsome amyrichard.newsome@verizon.net
Sun, 19 Oct 2003 23:31:58 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C39699.305C64B0

All,
Nate finds boycotts "amusing and ineffective".  First and foremost, in =
my opinion, this is about personal integrity, a put your money (or =
don't) where your mouth is. With that in mind, for me, a personal =
"boycott" is the only option, and very effective. If Nate isn't hampered =
by that kind of personal integrity, more power to him.=20

If Nate really doubted the power of people withholding their patronage, =
would he have resorted to the melodrama of the childhood lemonade stand? =
Can you all see the sweet little kindergartener, heartbroken, just =
trying to raise money for poor Africans, with a single tear running down =
her cheek? Just maybe the tithe isn't for West Africa, but for the =
Pastor's new pick-up, or to publish a book showing the "paternalistic" =
nature of slavery.

Where did the mention of Wheatberries or conservative Christians come =
from? I didn't see any mention of  "conservative Christians".  This =
wouldn't be a pot shot at the bakery competition would it? If somebody =
could illuminate me on this I would appreciate it.

"You can pry my coffee money from my cold dead hand", now that's =
melodrama.
Richard Newsome

P.S. Nate, if your father's idea of a paternalistic relationship is that =
of the slave/owner, you have my sympathies.

Nate wrote:

Joan and Amy,
Actually, I agree with you both (as far as consumer rights go), and Joan =

was obviously on her game as she was a pleasure to read. The=20
"Intolerance" subject line was not my own. However, what would the=20
vision2020 response be if we called for a boycott of all Muslim=20
businesses because we didn't want to endorse their views of women? We'd=20
get called the same thing my father has already been called for thinking =

slavery in the South didn't merit the bloodshed of the Civil War. I=20
personally find boycotts amusing and ineffective, but that's just me. In =

my strange world the tastiest cinammon roll is the most Christian no=20
matter who made it (but I think that only works with Christianity). If=20
you all don't want to buy your baked goods at Bucers, Wheatberries, or=20
Zume because they were made by conservative Christians, or because your=20
money might be going toward some kid's private education, or into the=20
coffers of the church, that is most certainly your right. Why would Joan =

go to some place where they think she's an abomination (her word not=20
mine)? Because they have the best chocolate cake? The best music? The=20
best interest rates? Why would I go into a business where they insist=20
(despite my denial) that I'm the bigoted son of a racist (assuming they=20
recognized me)? For all the same reasons.
Feel free to avoid my kids' lemonade stand (when they're old enough)=20
because they will tithe their dimes to Christ Church (and their money=20
might end up going toward building projects in west Africa). But if your =

kids have the best lemonade (or they're just cute) I'll be there with my =

quarters. Cheers.

NDW

P.S. Tom, I'm afraid I was just amusing myself with the BATH party. It's =

a bad habit, I know.

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C39699.305C64B0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>All,</DIV>
<DIV>Nate finds boycotts "amusing and ineffective".&nbsp; First and =
foremost, in=20
my opinion, this is about personal integrity, a put your money (or =
don't) where=20
your mouth is. With that in mind, for me, a personal "boycott" is the=20
only&nbsp;option, and very effective. If Nate isn't hampered by that =
kind of=20
personal integrity, more power to him. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>If Nate really doubted the power of people withholding their =
patronage,=20
would he have resorted to the melodrama of the childhood lemonade stand? =
Can you=20
all see the sweet little kindergartener, heartbroken, just trying to =
raise money=20
for poor Africans, with a single tear running down her cheek? Just maybe =
the=20
tithe isn't for West Africa, but for the Pastor's new pick-up, or to =
publish a=20
book showing the "paternalistic" nature of slavery.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Where did the mention of Wheatberries or conservative Christians =
come from?=20
I didn't&nbsp;see&nbsp;any mention of &nbsp;"conservative Christians".=20
&nbsp;This wouldn't be a pot shot at the bakery competition would it? If =

somebody could illuminate me on this I would appreciate it.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>"You can pry my coffee money from my cold dead hand", now that's=20
melodrama.</DIV>
<DIV>Richard Newsome</DIV>
<DIV>P.S. Nate, if your father's idea of a paternalistic relationship is =
that of=20
the&nbsp;slave/owner, you have my sympathies.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Nate wrote:</DIV>
<DIV>Joan and Amy,<BR>Actually, I agree with you both (as far as =
consumer rights=20
go), and Joan <BR>was obviously on her game as she was a pleasure to =
read. The=20
<BR>"Intolerance" subject line was not my own. However, what would the=20
<BR>vision2020 response be if we called for a boycott of all Muslim=20
<BR>businesses because we didn't want to endorse their views of women? =
We'd=20
<BR>get called the same thing my father has already been called for =
thinking=20
<BR>slavery in the South didn't merit the bloodshed of the Civil War. I=20
<BR>personally find boycotts amusing and ineffective, but that's just =
me. In=20
<BR>my strange world the tastiest cinammon roll is the most Christian no =

<BR>matter who made it (but I think that only works with Christianity). =
If=20
<BR>you all don't want to buy your baked goods at Bucers, Wheatberries, =
or=20
<BR>Zume because they were made by conservative Christians, or because =
your=20
<BR>money might be going toward some kid's private education, or into =
the=20
<BR>coffers of the church, that is most certainly your right. Why would =
Joan=20
<BR>go to some place where they think she's an abomination (her word not =

<BR>mine)? Because they have the best chocolate cake? The best music? =
The=20
<BR>best interest rates? Why would I go into a business where they =
insist=20
<BR>(despite my denial) that I'm the bigoted son of a racist (assuming =
they=20
<BR>recognized me)? For all the same reasons.<BR>Feel free to avoid my =
kids'=20
lemonade stand (when they're old enough) <BR>because they will tithe =
their dimes=20
to Christ Church (and their money <BR>might end up going toward building =

projects in west Africa). But if your <BR>kids have the best lemonade =
(or=20
they're just cute) I'll be there with my <BR>quarters.=20
Cheers.<BR><BR>NDW<BR><BR>P.S. Tom, I'm afraid I was just amusing myself =
with=20
the BATH party. It's <BR>a bad habit, I know.<BR></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C39699.305C64B0--