[Vision2020] Re: Aaaaaa! Slavery!

Steve Wells wellstep@turbonet.com
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 17:35:56 -0700

--------------030108070407080506000502

  Doug Wilson says that good Christians are not embarrassed by anything
in the bible and that they should apply all of its teachings in their
daily lives. (Daily News, Oct.11-12) Those who try to follow his advice,
however, will encounter some problems along the way. For example:

a) The bible says that anyone who worships a false god must be stoned to
death (Deut.13:6-10
<http://www.thebricktestament.com/the_law/when_to_stone_your_whole_family/dt13_06-08.html>).
Clearly this would include the Buddhists, but what about the Mormons?
Must we stone them, too?

b) If a man has sex with his wife and his mother-in-law, all three must
be burned to death (Lev.20:14
<http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/lev/20.html#14>). I can see that the
husband and mother-in-law have no excuse, but what if the wife doesn't
know of the affair between her mother and husband? Must we burn her anyway?

c) The bible has two punishments for homosexuality: death (Lev.20:13
<http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/lev/20.html#13>) and exile (Doug
Wilson, Oct.11-12). When should we apply the death penalty? And when
exiling homosexuals, should we exclude them from the United States or
just from the Moscow city limits?

d) I have a son who refuses to clean his room. The bible says that a son
who won't obey his father must be stoned to death (Deut.21:18-21
<http://www.thebricktestament.com/the_law/when_to_stone_your_children/dt21_18a.html>).
Should I give him another chance before killing him?

e) A woman who touches a man's genitals must have her hand cut off
(Deut.25:11-12
<http://www.thereverend.com/brick_testament//the_law/brawling/dt25_11a.html>).
The bible says that we are to show her no pity, but would it be okay to
use a local anesthetic?

It's hard to find a Christian minister who is not afraid of the bible,
and who will defend all of its teachings - even those regarding slavery
and homosexuality. But Doug Wilson claims to be such a minister. If so,
then maybe he can resolve these problems in the practical application of
the bible's teachings.

--------------030108070407080506000502

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
 Doug Wilson says that good Christians are not embarrassed by anything in
the bible and that they should apply all of its teachings in their daily
 lives. (Daily News, Oct.11-12) Those who try to follow his advice, however,
 will encounter some problems along the way. For example:<br>
   a) The bible says that anyone who worships a false god must be stoned
to  death (<a
 href="http://www.thebricktestament.com/the_law/when_to_stone_your_whole_family/dt13_06-08.html">Deut.13:6-10</a>).
 Clearly this would include the Buddhists, but what about the Mormons? Must
 we stone them, too?<br>
   b) If a man has sex with his wife and his mother-in-law, all three must
 be burned to death (<a
 href="http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/lev/20.html#14">Lev.20:14</a>). I
can see that the husband and mother-in-law have no excuse, but what if the
wife doesn't know of the affair between her mother and husband? Must we burn
her anyway?<br>
   c) The bible has two punishments for homosexuality: death (<a
 href="http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/lev/20.html#13">Lev.20:13</a>) and
 exile (Doug Wilson, Oct.11-12). When should we apply the death penalty? And
 when exiling homosexuals, should we exclude them from the United States or
 just from the Moscow city limits?<br>
   d) I have a son who refuses to clean his room. The bible says that a son
 who won't obey his father must be stoned to death (<a
 href="http://www.thebricktestament.com/the_law/when_to_stone_your_children/dt21_18a.html">Deut.21:18-21</a>).
 Should I give him another chance before killing him?<br>
   e) A woman who touches a man's genitals must have her hand cut off (<a
 href="http://www.thereverend.com/brick_testament//the_law/brawling/dt25_11a.html">Deut.25:11-12</a>).
 The bible says that we are to show her no pity, but would it be okay to use
 a local anesthetic?<br>
   It's hard to find a Christian minister who is not afraid of the bible,
and  who will defend all of its teachings &#8211; even those regarding slavery and
homosexuality.  But Doug Wilson claims to be such a minister. If so, then
maybe he can resolve  these problems in the practical application of the
bible's teachings. </div>

--------------030108070407080506000502--