[Vision2020] Modern Slavery in the U.S.

Eric Martin rik82@yahoo.com
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 12:02:02 -0700 (PDT)

Before we congratualte ourselves too quickly on having
ended modern day slavery in the U.S., I suggest
looking into the labor utilized to provide at least
some of our orange juice.  Doesn't it seem a little
strange that folks in Northern Idaho can purchase a
gallon of O.J. for a buck or two any time of year?

A simple google search will provide lots of info.,
including materials from the Department of Justice
indicating the problems extends far beyond O.J.

And what about the "cheap goods" we pick up at the
store that have been manufactured under forced labor
conditions abroad?  I think those products alone
indicate that slavery is alive and well, even in this
country.  Why else would Bush II have brought it up
the last time he adressed the nation via television?

Eric