[Vision2020] Political messages?

Joshua Nieuwsma joshuahendrik@yahoo.com
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 23:36:20 -0700 (PDT)

--0-1023566994-1066199780=:12910

Mr. Arnold,

I'm afraid I missed the context of your email, having not read the other side. But taking one of your statements at face value, I am inclined to agree wholeheartedly. You said:

I hope all you express as many viewpoints and opinions you have while we still have the right to do so. They already can search your computer, tap your phone, and check what books you are reading at the library without even a warrant. Constitution, what constitution?

You are quite right. It really is quite scary how many powers the government has given itself, whether its for safety or not. And whether it be Democrats stealing more liberties (which they most definitely have!), or Republicans (who historically haven't been all that different, just lazier and more subtle, perhaps, about it), the danger of losing even the right to use this privately hosted local forum (thank you FirstStep!) is there. And it shouldn't be ignored.

But one of the reasons, in my humble opinion, that our level of personal liberty has fallen to such a low, runs back to that old Civil War. Which really wasn't a civil war as much as it was a revolution in which the central government defeated the states. Hence the centralization of power, hence the loss of individual liberty and status in favor of the "safety" of the whole.

sincerely,

Joshua Nieuwsma

P.S. Mr. Arnold, the government schools were falling apart long before either Bush took office. And money ain't gonna fix it. It's been tried before. By the Romans. :)

--0-1023566994-1066199780=:12910

<DIV>
<DIV>Mr. Arnold,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I'm afraid I missed the context of your email, having not read the other side. But taking one of your statements at face value, I am inclined to agree wholeheartedly. You said:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><EM>I hope all you express as many viewpoints and opinions you have while we still have the right to do so. They already can search your computer, tap your phone, and check what books you are reading at the library without even a warrant. Constitution, what constitution?</EM></DIV>
<P>You are quite right. It really is quite scary how many powers the government has given itself, whether its for safety or not. And whether it be Democrats stealing more liberties (which they most definitely have!), or Republicans (who historically haven't been all that different, just lazier and more subtle, perhaps, about it), the danger of losing even the right to use this privately hosted local forum (thank you FirstStep!) is there. And it shouldn't be ignored. </P>
<P>But one of the reasons, in my humble opinion, that our level of personal liberty has fallen to such a low, runs back to that old Civil War. Which really wasn't a civil war as much as it was a revolution in which the central government&nbsp;defeated the states. Hence the centralization of power, hence the loss of individual liberty and status in favor of the "safety" of the whole. </P>
<P>sincerely,</P>
<P>Joshua Nieuwsma</P>
<P>P.S. Mr. Arnold, the government&nbsp;schools were falling apart long before either Bush took office. And money ain't gonna fix it. It's been tried before. By the Romans. :) </P></DIV><p><hr SIZE=1>
Do you Yahoo!?<br>
--0-1023566994-1066199780=:12910--