[Vision2020] Aaaaaa! Slavery!

Nate Wilson natewilson@moscow.com
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 11:25:53 -0700

Neat. I'm not interested in defending my father's historical abilities,
or the accuracy of his writing (while I do agree with him). If folks are
all done wondering if he's a racist, then I'm all done too. As far as
Darwin goes, of course science has progressed a bit (though not enough
to close the open door to racism). But I had the priviledge of hearing a
prof (with Phd and excellent bona fides) in WSU's vet school admit that
if given an unlimited amount of time he could breed a Budweiser horse
from two parakeets. He didn't want to say it, but he had to. Not that
that has anything to do with racism, but it is amusing.

NDW

P.S. I would still love to see anyone at least admit that M. Sanger's
Planned Parenthood was founded on racist ideals.

Joan Opyr wrote:

> Joan,
>    Okay, so my dad isn't a racist because you think he's a poor
> historian, he's a racist because you think he really, really, sucks at
> history? I see that I misrepresented your case. Please accept my
> apologies.

Apology accepted, Nate, but I believe you're confusing me with someone
else.  I haven't accused your father of being a racist.  He might be or
he might not -- I'm not interested enough in delving into his psyche to
say.  The assertion I made is that his arguments are suspect and his
bona fides non-existent.  His obsession with showing what good
Christians those Confederate slave-holders were is frankly puzzling, and
I wonder what exactly Doug and the Reverend Wilkins are trying to
achieve.  Are they really hoping to change the terms of the historical
debate?  Do they imagine that a screed like 'Southern Slavery: As It
Was' will once and for all knock that tiresome Shelby Foote off the
map?  Note to Ken Burns: the Wilsons are ready for their close-up.

I grew up in North Carolina, kids.  My family has lived there for a few
centuries now.  Do you imagine that in a region as self- and
history-obsessed as the South that I wouldn't have read hundreds of
original documents pertaining to slaves and slave-holders?  I've read
wills, conferring ownership of money, acres, and human beings to the
next generation; I've read slave narratives and listened to oral
histories.  I was born at night, but it wasn't last night.  I've heard
all of your arguments before.  The road you're on might begin beneath a
wisteria arch, but it winds up at the gallows tree.

Yours sincerely,
Joan Opyr

PS: I have read Darwin.  It's a good place to start if you're trying to
understand evolutionary theory, but it isn't where you should stop.
Much has happened in the intervening century.  Move on; catch up.  There
was a lovely fellow who worked with fruit flies in the 1930s to
demonstrate certain principles of genetic mutation -- but don't take my
word for it.  Any biological supply house would be happy to sell you a
microscope, some drosophila, and a bottle of fly nap.  Let's engage in a
bit of hands-on learning!

Add MSN 8 Internet Software to your current Internet access and enjoy
patented spam control and more.  Get two months FREE!
http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/byoa

List services made available by First Step Internet, serving the
communities of the Palouse since 1994.
http://www.fsr.net