[Vision2020] Let's all take a Fly Nap

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment@hotmail.com
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 10:20:33 -0700

>Joan,
>    Okay, so my dad isn't a racist because you think he's a poor historian,
>he's a racist because you think he really, really, sucks at history? I see
>that I misrepresented your case. Please accept my apologies.

Apology accepted, Nate, but I believe you're confusing me with someone else.
  I haven't accused your father of being a racist.  He might be or he might
not -- I'm not interested enough in delving into his psyche to say.  The
assertion I made is that his arguments are suspect and his bona fides
non-existent.  His obsession with showing what good Christians those
Confederate slave-holders were is frankly puzzling, and I wonder what
exactly Doug and the Reverend Wilkins are trying to achieve.  Are they
really hoping to change the terms of the historical debate?  Do they imagine
that a screed like 'Southern Slavery: As It Was' will once and for all knock
that tiresome Shelby Foote off the map?  Note to Ken Burns: the Wilsons are
ready for their close-up.

I grew up in North Carolina, kids.  My family has lived there for a few
centuries now.  Do you imagine that in a region as self- and
history-obsessed as the South that I wouldn't have read hundreds of original
documents pertaining to slaves and slave-holders?  I've read wills,
conferring ownership of money, acres, and human beings to the next
generation; I've read slave narratives and listened to oral histories.  I
was born at night, but it wasn't last night.  I've heard all of your
arguments before.  The road you're on might begin beneath a wisteria arch,
but it winds up at the gallows tree.

Yours sincerely,
Joan Opyr

PS: I have read Darwin.  It's a good place to start if you're trying to
understand evolutionary theory, but it isn't where you should stop.  Much
has happened in the intervening century.  Move on; catch up.  There was a
lovely fellow who worked with fruit flies in the 1930s to demonstrate
certain principles of genetic mutation -- but don't take my word for it.
Any biological supply house would be happy to sell you a microscope, some
drosophila, and a bottle of fly nap.  Let's engage in a bit of hands-on
learning!

Add MSN 8 Internet Software to your current Internet access and enjoy
patented spam control and more.  Get two months FREE!
http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/byoa