[Vision2020] "Do Not Call" bill passes

Dale Courtney dmcourtn@moscow.com
Wed, 1 Oct 2003 09:52:04 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0050_01C38801.AB322180

But, Sunil, the issue isn't how *I* define democracy; or how *you* =
define democracy. Rather, it is how our Founding Father's defined =
democracy and distanced us from it Constitutionally.=20

That distancing can be seen in our Constitution, Bill of Rights, Oaths =
of Office (to support and defend the Constitution), the way that the =
electoral college was established (so that the big States cannot stomp =
on the rights of the little States), etc.=20

Remember how James Madison defined democracy:=20
  "From this view of the subject, it may be concluded, that a pure =
Democracy,
  by which I mean a Society consisting of a small number of citizens, =
who
  assemble and administer the Government in person, can admit of no cure =
for
  the mischiefs of faction. A common passion or interest will, in almost =
every
  case, be felt by a majority of the whole; a communication and concert
  results from the form of Government itself; and there is nothing to =
check
  the inducements to sacrifice the weaker party, or an obnoxious =
individual.
  Hence it is, that such Democracies have ever been spectacles of =
turbulence
  and contention; have ever been found incompatible with personal =
security, or
  the rights of property; and have in general been as short in their =
lives, as
  they have been violent in their deaths." (Federalist #10)
Do you not like Madison's definition of Democracy?=20

Best,=20
Dale
  ----- Original Message -----=20