[Vision2020] Fee Parking??

Bruce and Jean Livingston jeanlivingston@turbonet.com
Wed, 1 Oct 2003 08:38:12 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0028_01C387F7.59D24450

In the last two weeks, I heard and dismissed these rumors about downtown =
parking fees as just that - rumors.  I supposed that the Moscow Arts =
Commission ("MAC," of which I am a member) would have heard something of =
this, given its potential effect upon the Farmers Market, were the City =
behind the idea.  I suspected that if there were any truth to the =
"downtown parking permit" notion that it was just an idea being tossed =
around by someone or some entity who would like to get more control of =
the limited parking. =20

I can now confirm that there is some substance to the rumor, in that the =
Moscow Downtown Association ("MDA") is in the initial stages of studying =
various parking proposals that would allocate the limited parking more =
efficiently or at least differently.  It appears that the MDA has a ways =
to go before it comes up with a final proposal.  Obviously, any proposal =
will need to be approved by the City.  I would expect plenty of public =
discussion on any proposed changes, so stay tuned.

I am a firm believer in a vibrant, strong, downtown core.  I would like =
to consider seriously the concerns of those downtown business owners who =
are trying to make our downtown better.  I don't advocate blind, "rubber =
stamp" approval of any ideas brought forth by any particular interest =
group, as public discussion  and consideration of alternative or =
opposing viewpoints is always a good thing.  We all have a stake in our =
downtown.  Join the discussion near its beginning.

As for the Farmer's Market itself, which could be impacted by parking =
allocation changes, I am confident that the impact upon the Farmers =
Market will be a significant consideration in deciding which parking =
changes, if any, that the City might approve.  Certainly, parking =
changes will be something that MAC considers seriously.  I would expect =
that MAC will take a strong position in favor of the Market, and it =
would seem that "Market exceptions" for Saturday parking will be =
manageable under any plan, just as they are now.

I concur with the posts of fellow MAC commissioner, Mark Semans, as well =
as Mike Curley, that Jon Kimberling is an excellent model of a =
responsive, communicative, elected official, and that we could all =
benefit from conducting ourselves accordingly.  Seeking input near the =
genesis of various proposals and trying to notify publicly the different =
people who will be most impacted is something that should benefit us all =
-- by leading to fuller consideration of more of the otherwise =
unanticipated effects that any particular proposal may have.

As for John Danahy's other question, about whether the City wants to =
move the Farmers Market to Main Street, I am unaware of that, too -- =
insofar as the "City" is thought to be the source of the idea.  (I =
suppose some individuals in City administration or government may be =
supportive of part or all of such an idea, but the only knowledge I have =
comes from a recent MAC meeting.)  What I do know is that the Moscow =
Downtown Association would like us, MAC, to consider possible changes to =
the Market in the hope that concerns (of those business owners who do =
not feel they get much benefit from the Market) could be addressed in a =
way which benefits both the Market and the Downtown.  At our recent MAC =
meeting, we decided to form a committee that would study any proposal =
put forth by the MDA.  That committee would have a majority of Farmers =
Market vendors, along with several MAC and MDA representatives.=20

The preliminary MDA proposal, as I understand it, is to move part of the =
Market to that portion of Main Street near Friendship Square, and to =
remove one of the three "strips" or "aisles" of the Market from the =
Jackson Street lot, thus maintaining the same basic size of the Market, =
but changing its layout somewhat.  Personally, I would be in favor of =
expanding the Market: placing some vendors on Main Street and increasing =
the "art" component, perhaps with more dance and theater performances.  =
However, I would only want to expand the Market, or move a part of the =
Market, to Main Street if the effected Main Street business owners =
wanted such an expansion. =20

Before all of this discussion mushrooms into a conspiracy theory of epic =
proportions,  I recommend that the various groups who will be most =
impacted get involved and be part of the discussions.  The biggest =
impact of proposed Farmers Market changes would probably be felt by the =
vendors themselves, so obviously they need to be involved.  It seems to =
me that there are probably at least three groups of downtown interests =
as well, those business owners who get lots of benefit from the Market, =
those who don't, and the people who actually live downtown and have to =
park their cars there.  And of course, the Farmer's Market is one of the =
strengths of this City which makes Moscow a special place to live, so =
all Moscow residents have an interest in the Market, too. =20

Interested citizens, as these various proposals come forth (none of =
which have yet been presented), make your views known to MAC, to vendors =
at the Market, to the Mayor, City Council and Administration.  We are =
all in this together, and trying to get it right.

Bruce Livingston

----- Original Message -----=20