[Vision2020] Vandal Football - The Dark Side

Devin Cole dcole@pacsim.com
Tue, 30 Sep 2003 23:06:06 -0700

Jack Van Deventer writes:

"It's pretty simple to say that the only problem with Vandal football is
the coach and that the players are topnotch caliber otherwise."

I guess I never meant to say that the head coach is the only problem.
However, my experience has shown that breaking down a complex problem
helps in analysis.  When I look at the complex situation the Vandal
football team faces, I break it down.  I see excessive penalties,
dropped passes, overthrows, and the like.  These, in my opinion, lead to
a common factor, lack of focus.  Following the common factor back to a
likely source, focus, again in my opinion, is largely affected by
coaching.  Thus, one of the changes I feel can impact performance is a
head coaching change.

Jack Van Deventer also says:

"I'll say this about Cable, he's taken a lot of abuse for the Vandal's
poor performance and he's taken responsibility for it.  He's shown
fairly good character given the circumstances."

For the record, I believe that Tom Cable has good character as well.  I
think that he is not the right head coach for the UI football team, but
I agree that he has conducted himself well.

Finally, I think that fan support is dwindling but not gone, and it can
return given a few wins.  Maybe this is too simplistic, but I like to be
optimistic.

Devin