[Vision2020] secular humanists?!

Eric Engerbretson eric@eric-e.com
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 22:04:04 -0800

A list member wrote:

> Secular humanists would have waged fewer wars and produced a
> better world than we have today.

Wow. What a statement. And in the midst of calling someone "silly".

Stalin alone killed 20+ million in the name of secular humanism, and wanted
to wage war on every nation until the world was Marxist.  Mao Se Tung, Pol
Pot, the list goes on and on, hundreds of millions slain in the name of
"non-religion".

Secular humanism  in the 20th century alone has clearly killed more people
than Christianity in its entire history.

Secular humanism is a religion, just like every other world-view. EVERY
world-view is ultimately faith-based-- based partly on unprovable
pressupositions.  Every world-view has its priests, worshippers, and
liturgy.

Every human is religious. Buddhists to atheists, Baptists to agnostics. Some
just have more evidence for their faith than others. Some have objectively
(a relative term, to be sure) studied the pressupositions of the faiths, and
some never will.

The more I read of vision2020 the more I see that there are just as many
closed-minded liberals as there are closed-minded conservatives.  There is
just as much intolerance on one side as the other. The full spectrum of
folks is represented in all the faiths.

Secular humanism would have created a better world?!  It tried, starting in
1917. The results were less than ideal.  The best society I know of was
started in 1776 by Christians and Deists.

Sincerely,

Eric Engerbretson