[Vision2020] Thanksgiving prayer

Rob Keenan benjamin_barker@hotmail.com
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 14:04:35 -0800

Visionaries --

As we approach Thanksgiving Day, it seems appropriate to start thinking
about everything we have to be grateful for. I penned a prayer in my journal
and thought I'd share it here.

Dear God,

Thank You for all You have done for us. Thank You for creating this world,
and for placing us in it. Thank You for the many blessings you have given
us -- for the food we have to eat, for the family and friends we have to
share it with, for the shelter we have to keep us warm and safe.

You have given us so many blessings -- and for these, we give thanks.
For the laughter of a child, we give thanks.
For the warmth of a hug, we give thanks.
For the peace that comes through knowing You, we give thanks.
For the joy that comes from learning new things, we give thanks.
For the wisdom of age, we give thanks.
For the patience that comes from understanding, we give thanks.
For the challenges that make us stronger, we give thanks.
For the kindness of strangers, we give thanks.
For the love we share, we give thanks.

We ask You to be with those who feel they have little to be thankful for,
and help them to know they are still loved and cared for. For those without
food, help us to feed them. For those without electricity or shelter, help
us to invite them into our warm homes. For those without warm winter
clothing, help us to clothe them. For those who cannot be with their
families, help us to welcome them in with ours. For those who are sick, help
us to nurse them. For those who are dying, help us to ease their passing.
Help us to see these children of God, not only during this time of
Thanksgiving, but all throughout the year. Help us to be generous as You
are, to share as You have shared, to love as You have loved.

Let us make each day a day of Thanksgiving.

Amen.