[Vision2020] The end of real slavery

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment@hotmail.com
Fri, 21 Nov 2003 16:29:41 -0800

That was a lovely altar call, Doug, but as I've said before, I am not a
Christian.  Calling me to Jesus is like whistling up the wind.
Nevertheless, I appreciate your trying as I know it means a lot to you.  (On
behalf of the Christians in my house, perhaps I should point out that
there's a difference between a call to Jesus and a call to Doug.  It's
entirely possible to believe devoutly in the former while having no truck
with the latter.)

Now, as to the one point you make in which I am interested: the way I see
it, I'm not trying to have it both ways.  I'm trying to have it my way.
Just like you.  And like Rose.  And like Steve Wilkins, and Bubba, and
Buddha, and Betty.  Like everyone who has ever lived and breathed.  The
difference between me and you is that I have been good enough to remove the
fig leaf of divine intent.  I don't presume to know the mind of God.  I know
my own mind.  I wouldn't care to be a slave, just as I wouldn't care to be
vivisected; why then would I think it was okay to enslave/vivisect anyone
else?  Every mother on this planet has at one time or another said to her
child, "You wouldn't like it if he did that to you."  Tangible,
experiential, maternal wisdom -- I'll let that be my guide.

I think the problem here is that you have set yourself the impossible task
of trying to apply perfect logic to what is essentially a mish-mashed
collection of imperfect histories, genealogies, proverbs, prophecies, songs,
and folk sayings.  This isn't to say that the assorted contents of the Bible
don't have value, or that something in there might not be a key to spiritual
enlightenment.  Perhaps if you looked deeply and attempted to discern the
intent.  Perhaps if you looked into yourself and attempted to discern your
intent.  Perhaps if you were struck by lightning . . .

You declare that your goal is to defend the Bible.  Do you really think it
needs your help?  The collection of writings that Irenaeus put on his
canonical short list has now been in print for the better part of two
millennia.  Neither you nor I nor Agatha Christie will ever knock it from
the top of the best sellers.  It's also the case, however, that no two
people will read that collection of writings the same way.  No two people
will be in perfect agreement about the meaning of any particular passage.
Admit it -- this is what's intolerable to you.  You want absolute certainty,
but uniformity of interpretation can only be achieved via force.  You can do
that by force of will, force of strength, or force of argument, but if those
don't work, what's left?  The sword.  And so we're back to you and the
Amalekites.  I don't begrudge you your Zion, Doug, but I don't want to live
there myself.  I suspect I'd find it hard to distinguish between a Wilsonite
Promised Land and Hell on Earth.

I’m no friend of Sin.  She smokes all my cigarettes and drinks up all my
beer.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment

PS: You got one thing right, Doug.  I am indeed the law.  Well, me and the
275 million other residents of the United States.  Ideally, we should be
ruled by democratic consensus (or as close to it as we can get) with
constitutional protections for the rights of minorities.  This is what I
meant by a jury of my peers -- consensus belief in the nature of God not
being necessary for universal good governance.

Set yourself up for fun at home!  Get tips on home entertainment equipment,
video game reviews, and more here.
http://special.msn.com/home/homeent.armx