[Vision2020] Can we talk?

Tami Stinebaugh stin1624@uidaho.edu
Fri, 21 Nov 2003 10:21:58 -0800

Carl,

I'm with you.  While I do not agree with Doug Wilson, or what his book says, I think simply stating that is enough (or more than enough???) and choose to move on.  I think being tolerant allows for everybody to have their opinions, no matter how much we disagree.  Agree to disagree, and move on.  Why isn't he allowed to believe or say such things about slavery, if that is what he truly feels?  I know it is hurtful to some, but in my opinion, only if we allow it to be.  Does anybody REALLY think they are going to change his mind?  Who cares if we don't agree?  Who REALLY cares if that is what he believes?  Say to yourself "that's crazy, absurd, ridiculous!" but he is still allowed to have those opinions different from our own.  (just as I'm allowed to believe that the Oakland Raiders are the best team in the NFL, even though people almost pass out laughing when I express this opinion out loud, but that's a different story...stop laughing...)

Now, if suddenly we notice people are being bought and sold at a Christ Church auction, well, that's a different story!  My point is just that whether or not another person takes Mr. Wilson's values, beliefs, and statements to heart or not, is a personal decision.  For me, I have other things to worry about than the fact that I don't agree with what he says.  For example, what am I going to eat for dinner tonight? (or rather, what pizza joint are we going to order from?)  Is there any good television shows on tonight?  Will my son wake me at 5 or 6 am tomorrow?  And, what on EARTH are we going to do for Thanksgiving????

Speaking of that, best wishes to all for a Happy Thanksgiving, and please be careful if you are traveling!

Tami Stinebaugh

Carl said:

  If I may
risk spraining my arm by patting myself on the back, I believe I have made a
few posts in which I defend Mr. Wilson from charges of racism, while
acknowledging that I do have honest disagreements with his worldview.  To
find myself accused of these things, when my number one Moscow wish is for
people to live and let live, is a little disconcerting.  And I have to
consider myself personally accused of all of the above, since I do not agree
with Doug Wilson's views.  I plead Not Guilty, your honor...