[Vision2020] Gay marriage

Rob Keenan benjamin_barker@hotmail.com
Fri, 21 Nov 2003 08:06:34 -0800

What with all the hoopla over gay marriage, I think some of us are missing
the point. When we think of the term "marriage," many of us consider this
term to imply a church- or religion-sanctioned relationship between a man
and a woman. However, while this is one aspect of marriage, it is not the
only aspect. Marriage is also a civil contract between two adult individuals
that embodies the entrants of that contract with certain rights and
responsibilities.

We have written into our Constitution two significant points: One, in
Article VI (I believe, could be Article V), is a clause requiring each state
to recognize the laws passed by each other state. Courts have ruled again
and again that if you're married in, say, Nevada, that civil contract is
valid anywhere else in the nation. Two, the First Amendment clearly states
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion or
prohibiting the free exercise thereof ..."

Why am I bringing up this constitutional statement? Firstly, because the
Defense of Marriage Act is unconstitutional, as it clearly states the states
do not have to honor the marriage laws of other states. As this was passed
without constitutional amendment, it is therefore facially invalid and
should be struck down by the Supreme Court. Secondly, because the government
thus far has honored heterosexual marriages entered into in a religious
setting (church weddings), but does not honor same-sex marriages entered
into in a religious setting -- Unitarians, pagans, even some Christian
protestant sects offer same-sex marriage.

What the Massachusetts Supreme Court rightly recognized was the difference
between the religious sacrament of matrimony and the civil contract of
marriage. The Massachusetts court does not say that any religion must offer
same-sex marriage. If you're Catholic or Jewish and want to be married in
the faith, tough titties. However, there is no reason at all for the
government -- which should not be respecting any establishment of religion
(that pesky separation of church and state) -- to deny equal protection
(Fourteenth Amendment) to same-sex couples.

If our legal system honors and respects religious sacraments such as
matrimony between heterosexual couples, they also must respect religious
sacraments of matrimony between same-sex couples. If a court recognizes
common-law marriage between heterosexual couples, they must also recognize
common-law marriage between same-sex couples. And for a court to deny
certain basic rights such as the right of association, the right of
succession, the right of inheritance, the right of parentage or the right of
dependance to couples based solely on their gender is wrong.

NO ONE is saying anything need be done to alter the religious sacrament of
matrimony. This sacrament is left up to each church and faith to bestow as
they see fit. However, there's a big difference between a religious
sacrament and a civil contract. Just 50 years ago, miscegenation was illegal
in most states. When the Supreme Court ruled in 1967 that miscegenation laws
were unconstitutional, nobody even batted an eye. I predict that the time is
coming fast upon us when same-sex couples will be granted full civil
marriage rights and responsibilities, and we'll take it all in stride. How
much longer? It took 20 years for the Supreme Court to strike down
anti-miscegenation laws after the first state spoke out against this
discrimination. We might see a similar pattern here -- 20 years after
Vermont's civil union laws may finally see the Supreme Court upholding gay
marriage (2020).

Or perhaps, the majority of our country will see these oppressive and
discriminatory laws for what they are, and we'll see progress even sooner.
Only time will tell.

ROB

Groove on the latest from the hot new rock groups!  Get downloads, videos,
and more here.  http://special.msn.com/entertainment/wiredformusic.armx