[Vision2020] Slavery is evil, but it's OK to own slaves

Steve Wells wellstep@turbonet.com
Thu, 20 Nov 2003 19:34:31 -0800

--------------030608010802010108010507

 >I affirm and own all the quotations below, including the one from the
Trib. Furthermore, I cheerfully deny any contradiction between them.

Okay. Let's summarize, shall we?

"Slavery is evil," but "a man may be a faithful Christian and a
slave-owner."

"Our humanistic and democratic culture regards slavery in itself as a
monstrous evil, and it acts as though this were self-evidently true."
They are completely wrong, of course. But "slavery is evil." (Not in
itself, of course. And it's not a monstrous evil.)

"Owning slaves is not an abomination. The Bible does not condemn it, and
those who believe the Bible are bound to refrain in the same way." But
it's okay to say that slavery is evil. (Well, if you're forced to, anyway.)

 >For those who are genuinely interested in how to understand this, I
refer you to an upcoming letter to the editor in the Daily News from our
church board.

I can't wait!

--------------030608010802010108010507

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
<i>&gt;I affirm and own all the quotations below, including the one from
the  Trib. Furthermore, I cheerfully deny any contradiction between them.
</i><br>
Okay. Let's summarize, shall we? <br>
"Slavery is evil," but "a man may be a faithful Christian and a  slave-owner."
"Our humanistic and democratic culture regards slavery in itself as a  monstrous
evil, and it acts as though this were self-evidently true."  They are completely
wrong, of course. But "slavery is evil." (Not in itself, of course. And it's
not a  monstrous evil.) <br>
"Owning slaves is not an abomination. The Bible does not condemn it, and
 those who believe the Bible are bound to refrain in the same way." But  it's
okay to say that slavery is evil. (Well, if you're forced to,  anyway.) <br>
<i>&gt;For those who are genuinely interested in how to understand this,
I  refer you to an upcoming letter to the editor in the Daily News from our
 church board. </i><br>
I can't wait! <br>

--------------030608010802010108010507--