[Vision2020] E911

Jon Kimberling jon@n-k-ins.com
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 10:22:01 -0800

Debbie- thanks for the question. By a vote of 4-1, we determined to
negotiate a contract with Whitcom. The City has been studying this issue for
4 years. Our equipment is beyond it's useful life. I didn't feel we were in
a position to wait any longer. The overriding factors for me in going with
Whitcom were the immediate savings to taxpayers and the access to the safety
features of enhanced 911. Phase 1 technology tells the emergency people what
cell tower the cell call is using. Phase 2 provides far more precise
location information- within feet of the caller.

Instead of contracting for 5 years, we intend to contract for 3 years with
two one year renewal options. That keeps the door open to working with Latah
County. I also wouldn't be surprised if Latah County eventually explores the
possibility of partnering with Whitcom. Idaho does not have the
infrastructure today nor the money to build the infrastructure for the
enhanced services. I certainly get the impression that government is being
encouraged to cooperate wherever possible, including across state lines. If
you have a cell phone using a Washington 509 number, you are paying taxes to
the State of Washington right now. Plus, the court decision a few short days
ago determined that you can take your land line phone number with you and
perhaps use it as your cell number. I've heard predictions that this will
cause another huge increase in the number of cell phones.

I know this was fairly general. If you have specific questions, let me know.

Jon Kimberling
Moscow City Council