[Vision2020] Oh, It's about slavery all right

Steve Wells wellstep@turbonet.com
Tue, 18 Nov 2003 23:38:20 -0800

--------------040700080907030207060003

 >I'm wondering if some of these passages from Wilson's book are not
taken out of context and if read in whole would paint a different picture?<

That's a fair question. Let's take a look at what Steve Wilkins and
Douglas Wilson actually say in their pamphlet "Southern Slavery: As It
Was". I'll try to include enough to get the context, but I encourage
those who are interested (especially Christ Church members) to read
short (33 page) pamphlet.

 From page 10:

"It is obvious that in a fallen world, an institution like slavery will
be accompanied by many attendant evils. Such evils existed with ancient
Hebrew slavery, ancient Roman slavery, and with American slavery. The
issue is not whether sinners will sin, but rather how Christians are
commanded to respond to such abuses and evils. And nothing is clearer -
the New Testament opposes anything like the abolitionism of our country
prior to the War Between the States. The New Testament contains many
instructions for Christian slave owners, and requires a respectful
submissive demeanor for Christian slaves. See, for example, Ephesians
6:5-9, Colossians 3:22-4:1, and 1 Timothy 6:1-5."

Pages 11-12:

"The reason why many Christians will be tempted to dismiss the arguments
presented in this booklet is that we will say (out loud) that a godly
man could have been a slave owner. But this "inflammatory" position is
the very point upon which the Bible speaks most directly, again and
again. In other words, more people will struggle with what we are saying
at the point where the Bible speaks most clearly. There is no exegetical
vagueness here. Not only is the Bible not politically correct, it was
not politically correct one hundred thirty years ago.

"This points to the need for Christians to learn the biblical way of
avoiding "problem texts." This is the way of a priori submission.
Christians must recognize that they are under the authority of God, and
they may not develop their ideas of what is "right" and "fair" apart
from the Word of God. And when the Bible is our only standard of right
and wrong, problem texts disappear. This entire issue of slavery is a
wonderful issue upon which to practice. Our humanistic and democratic
culture regards slavery in itself as a monstrous evil, and acts as
though this were self-evidently true. The Bible permits Christians to
own slaves, provided they are treated well. You are a Christian. Whom do
you believe?"

Pages 17-18:

"The slavery of Rome was anti-scriptural, and because of the evil of the
slave trade, the larger system of slavery on the South was certainly
sub-scriptural. Nevertheless, the Bible prohibits us from saying that
slave-owning in such contexts is sin.

"The bible teaches that a man may be a faithful Christian and a
slave-owner in a pagan slave system. If he owns slaves, then Scripture
does put a series of requirements on him, with the church of Christ may
and must insist upon. But beyond those requirements, the church may not
presume to legislate."

Page 21:

"The slave trade was an abomination. The Bible condemns it, and all who
believe the Bible are bound to do the same. Owning slaves is not an
abomination. The Bible does not condemn it, and those who believe the
Bible are bound to refrain in the same way. But if we were to look in
history for Christians who reflected this biblical balance - i.e. a
hatred of the slave trade and an acceptance of slavery in itself under
certain conditions - we will find ourselves looking at the ante bellum
South."

Doug Wilson's words are especially interesting in light of the current
(It's not about slavery: Pay no attention to that man behind the
curtain) advertisement in the Daily News from the Board of Christ
Church. The ad says "that slavery has always been an evil needing to be
abolished" and "that has been our position from the start."

Well, that may be the position of the board of Christ Church, but it's
contrary to the (out loud) position that their pastor, Doug Wilson.
Isn't it strange that board and pastor could disagree so completely on
Wilson's "wonderful issue" of slavery?

--------------040700080907030207060003

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
&gt;I'm wondering if some of these passages from Wilson's book are not taken
out of context and if read in whole would paint a different picture?&lt;<br>
That's a fair question. Let's take a look at what Steve Wilkins and Douglas
Wilson actually say in their pamphlet "Southern Slavery: As It Was". I'll
try to include enough to get the context, but I encourage those who are interested
(especially Christ Church members) to read short (33 page) pamphlet. <br>
>From page 10:<br>
"It is obvious that in a fallen world, an institution like slavery will be
accompanied by many attendant evils. Such evils existed with ancient Hebrew
slavery, ancient Roman slavery, and with American slavery. The issue is not
whether sinners will sin, but rather how Christians are <i>commanded</i>
to respond to such abuses and evils. And nothing is clearer &#8211; the New Testament
opposes anything like the abolitionism of our country prior to the War Between
the States. The New Testament contains many instructions for <i>Christian
</i>slave owners, and requires a respectful submissive demeanor for Christian
slaves. See, for example, Ephesians 6:5-9, Colossians 3:22-4:1, and 1 Timothy
6:1-5."<br>
Pages 11-12:<br>
"The reason why many Christians will be tempted to dismiss the arguments
presented in this booklet is that we will say (out loud) that a godly man
could have been a slave owner. But this "inflammatory" position is the very
point upon which the Bible <i>speaks most directly</i>, again and again.
In other words, more people will struggle with what we are saying at the
point where the Bible speaks most clearly. There is no exegetical vagueness
here. Not only is the Bible not politically correct, it was not politically
correct one hundred thirty years ago.<br>
"This points to the need for Christians to learn the biblical way of avoiding
"problem texts." This is the way of a priori submission. Christians must
recognize that they are under the authority of God, and they may not develop
their ideas of what is "right" and "fair" apart from the Word of God. And
when the Bible is our only standard of right and wrong, problem texts disappear.
This entire issue of slavery is a wonderful issue upon which to practice.
Our humanistic and democratic culture regards slavery <i>in itself</i> as
a monstrous evil, and acts as though this were self-evidently true. The Bible
permits Christians to own slaves, provided they are treated well. You are
a Christian. Whom do you believe?" <br>
Pages 17-18:<br>
"The slavery of Rome was anti-scriptural, and because of the evil of the
slave trade, the larger system of slavery on the South was certainly sub-scriptural.
Nevertheless, the Bible prohibits us from saying that slave-<i>owning </i>in
such contexts is sin.<br>
"The bible teaches that a man may be a faithful Christian and a slave-owner
in a pagan slave system. If he owns slaves, then Scripture does put a series
of requirements on him, with the church of Christ may and must insist upon.
Page 21:<br>
"The slave trade was an abomination. The Bible condemns it, and all who believe
the Bible are bound to do the same. Owning slaves is not an abomination.
The Bible does not condemn it, and those who believe the Bible are bound
to refrain in the same way. But if we were to look in history for Christians
who reflected this biblical balance &#8211; i.e. a hatred of the slave trade and
an acceptance of slavery in itself under certain conditions &#8211; we will find
Doug Wilson's words are especially interesting in light of the current (It's
not about slavery: Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain) advertisement
in the Daily News from the Board of Christ Church. The ad says "that slavery
has always been an evil needing to be abolished" and "that has been our position
from the start."<br>
Well, that may be the position of the board of Christ Church, but it's contrary
to the (out loud) position that their pastor, Doug Wilson. Isn't it strange
that board and pastor could disagree so completely on Wilson's "wonderful
issue" of slavery?<br>

--------------040700080907030207060003--