[Vision2020] UI and WSU statement on slavery (Questioning Authority)

Tom Hansen thansen@moscow.com
Fri, 14 Nov 2003 05:45:29 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_0027_01C3AA72.82FA6EF0

I agree, Ms. Huskey.  In fact, had Rod Johnson actually taken the time =
to read UI President Michael's comments he woud clearly realize that he =
(President Michael) and the university fully support  Wilson's and =
Wilkin's first amendment rights, if not the message.

Tom Hansen
UI '96
  -----Original Message-----
  From: vision2020-admin@moscow.com =
[mailto:vision2020-admin@moscow.com]On Behalf Of Melynda Huskey
  Sent: Thursday, November 13, 2003 7:54 PM
  To: rodney johnson; Vision 2020
  Subject: Re: [Vision2020] UI and WSU statement on slavery (Questioning =
Authority)

  Rod Johnson notes:

  >The website of UI=E2=80=99s Office of Diversity and Human Rights=20
  >(www.webs.uidaho.edu/diversity), while displaying warm and fuzzy =
language=20
  >about =E2=80=9Cinclusion=E2=80=9D and non-discrimination based on =
religious views, among=20
  >other things, has posted in downloadable format a copy of the =
hit-piece=20
  >written by two UI history professors, who rail against the =
=E2=80=9Cfollowers=E2=80=9D of=20
  >Wilson and against certain clusters of Protestant churches based on =
their=20
  >theological views, stereotyping them (red flag!) in the broadest =
possible=20
  >brush as =E2=80=9Cfascists.=E2=80=9D =20

  I recommend the essay, which is clear, concise, and well-written, and =
which doesn't bear much resemblance to Rod's description.  Of its ten =
pages, all but two paragraphs are concerned with examining the evidence =
cited and arguments made in the Wilkins and Wilson tract.

  "Fascism," if you're looking, appears in the penultimate paragraph, as =
part of a quotation from Slavov Zizek, describing the movement variously =
known as Theonomy or Christian Reconstructionism.  In common with =
fascism, the Theonomic movement posits a world in which deadly force =
rids the body politic of polluting dissenters.  Its adherents differ on =
whether or not violence is justified before achieving world domination; =
they all agree that afterwards, it's conversion or the sword. (Remember =
those Amalekites!)

  No-one's asserted that Wilkins and Wilson don't have every right to =
hold and express their views, to rent the UI's facilities for a =
conference, or to self-publish their essays.  Let 'er rip, say I.  But =
last time I checked, free expression didn't come with a guarantee that =
no one would disagree.  Why wouldn't the University make clear that it =
did not associate itself, as indeed the scholarly community does not =
associate itself, and as most of our local community does not associate =
itself, with crypto-academic crackpottery which has created considerable =
anxiety among students, staff, and faculty?

  Melynda Huskey

    =20

-----
  Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : =
http://explorer.msn.com

------=_NextPart_000_0027_01C3AA72.82FA6EF0

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2600.0" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY=20
style=3D"BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; BORDER-TOP: medium none; FONT: 10pt =
verdana; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none">
<DIV><SPAN class=3D838214113-14112003><FONT face=3Dverdana>I agree, Ms.=20
Huskey.&nbsp; In fact, had Rod Johnson actually taken the time to read =
UI=20
President Michael's comments he woud clearly realize that he (President =
Michael)=20
and the university fully support&nbsp; Wilson's and Wilkin's first =
amendment=20
rights, if not the message.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D838214113-14112003></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D838214113-14112003><FONT face=3Dverdana>Tom=20
Hansen</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D838214113-14112003>UI '96</SPAN></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
style=3D"PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px =
solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
  <DIV class=3DOutlookMessageHeader dir=3Dltr align=3Dleft><FONT=20
  face=3DTahoma>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B>=20
  vision2020-admin@moscow.com [mailto:vision2020-admin@moscow.com]<B>On =
Behalf=20
  Of </B>Melynda Huskey<BR><B>Sent:</B> Thursday, November 13, 2003 7:54 =

  PM<BR><B>To:</B> rodney johnson; Vision 2020<BR><B>Subject:</B> Re:=20
  [Vision2020] UI and WSU statement on slavery (Questioning=20
  Authority)<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>Rod Johnson notes:</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>&gt;The website of UI=E2=80=99s Office of Diversity and Human =
Rights=20
  <BR>&gt;(www.webs.uidaho.edu/diversity), while displaying warm and =
fuzzy=20
  language <BR>&gt;about =E2=80=9Cinclusion=E2=80=9D and =
non-discrimination based on religious=20
  views, among <BR>&gt;other things, has posted in downloadable format a =
copy of=20
  the hit-piece <BR>&gt;written by two UI history professors, who rail =
against=20
  the =E2=80=9Cfollowers=E2=80=9D of <BR>&gt;Wilson and against certain =
clusters of Protestant=20
  churches based on their <BR>&gt;theological views, stereotyping them =
(red=20
  flag!) in the broadest possible <BR>&gt;brush as =
=E2=80=9Cfascists.=E2=80=9D&nbsp; </DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>I recommend the essay, which is clear, concise, and well-written, =
and=20
  which doesn't bear much resemblance to Rod's description.&nbsp; Of its =
ten=20
  pages, all but two&nbsp;paragraphs are concerned with examining the =
evidence=20
  cited and arguments made in the Wilkins and Wilson tract.</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>"Fascism," if you're looking, appears in the penultimate =
paragraph, as=20
  part of a quotation from Slavov Zizek, describing the movement =
variously known=20
  as Theonomy or Christian Reconstructionism.&nbsp; In common with =
fascism, the=20
  Theonomic movement posits a world in which deadly force rids =
the&nbsp;body=20
  politic of polluting dissenters.&nbsp;&nbsp;Its adherents differ=20
  on&nbsp;whether or not&nbsp;violence is justified before achieving =
world=20
  domination; they all agree that afterwards, it's conversion or the =
sword.=20
  (Remember those Amalekites!)</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>No-one's asserted that Wilkins and Wilson don't have every right =
to hold=20
  and express their views, to rent the UI's facilities for a conference, =
or to=20
  self-publish their essays.&nbsp; Let 'er rip, say I.&nbsp; But last =
time I=20
  checked, free expression didn't come with a guarantee that no one =
would=20
  disagree.&nbsp; Why wouldn't the University make clear that it did not =

  associate itself, as indeed the scholarly community does not associate =
itself,=20
  and as most of our local community does not associate itself, with=20
  crypto-academic crackpottery which has created considerable anxiety =
among=20
  students, staff, and faculty?</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>Melynda Huskey</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</DIV><BR clear=3Dall>
  <HR>
  Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : <A=20
  href=3D"http://explorer.msn.com">http://explorer.msn.com</A><BR>
  <P></P></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0027_01C3AA72.82FA6EF0--