[Vision2020] In Support of Alturas Park

Mike Curley curley@turbonet.com
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 21:59:43 -0800

Good question.  I'll take a shot, Dan.  I don't want to use any business as an example
because it isn't the "fault" of any business that it did what the city allowed it to do.  So, I'll
use a realistic hypothetical.  Let's say a consultant to the meat packing industry in an
existing Moscow business zone decides it's time to move.  She has 9 employees.  She
pays tax either because she owns the building her business occupies or through her
rent/least payment.  The zoning for Alturas allows her to move there EVEN THOUGH
she provides no support to any research or technology business there.

When she moves, her taxes (except for the part to the school district) no longer come
to the city.  They are diverted to pay the bond against Alturas.  Loser No. 1 are the
citizens--they lost whatever those taxes would have funded.  Not a single new job was
created, so no new economic advantage was gained.  Loser No. 2 is the landowner
where the business WOULD HAVE built (or located in an existing space) its new office
IF it hadn't moved to Alturas.  Loser No. 3, and to a smaller degree, are those
businesses located near where the consultant WOULD HAVE located.  The lunch
counter, coffee shop, print shop, etc. where the consultant's staff would have dined,
drank, copied, etc.   True, might be good for their counterparts located near Alturas, but
do we want to PUBLICLY fund that happening, or should the market take care of that.
Jack Wenders, where are you now...

Dan, please again understand that I AGREE that Alturas is/was a good addition to the
city.  That is not the question.  What we do with it in the future and by what
mechanisms, and TO WHAT INTENT--those are the current issues as I see them.

Mike Curley