[Vision2020] In Support of Alturas Park

Barbara Richardson Crouch edc@moscow.com
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 10:43:51 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_006E_01C3A909.DC70B6C0

Let's talk in terms that everyone can agree upon.  We compete locally,
regionally, nationally, and internationally for business development.
Moscow has always focused on the University of Idaho for its financial
well-being.  As the economy changes and the University changes, there is a
significant negative impact on the local economy.  To offset that impact, we
try to diversify the economy. If you look at our neighbors -
Lewiston/Clarkston and Pullman.  They have public funded Port Districts
leasing space- long term - for .65 to .80 per square foot per month.  The
higher rate is the beginning lease rate for the Incubator!  We must stay
competitive!

Alturas' business plan is the legal document that states the intent of
Alturas - not a Zoning Code.  RTO is a zoning code and not the business plan
for Alturas.  Please separate the two.  Mike please give me the name of
local business people that state their business has been hurt by Alturas or
the RTO zone.

Part of the reason many businesses do not locate here is because the fear of
negative publicity.  Orofino is the home to a light manufacturing company
expected to employee more than 100 people in living wage jobs with benefits
because of the fear of negative publicity.

We constantly talk about "quality of life" but ask the people who are making
less now than they did 4 years ago or the people working 2 jobs to afford a
home in Moscow if their "quality of life" could be enhanced by better jobs.

Barbara