[Vision2020] Re: Divisiveness

Andreas Schou scho8053@uidaho.edu
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 08:46:17 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: Dale Courtney <dmcourtn@moscow.com>
Date: Wednesday, November 12, 2003 4:50 am
Subject: RE: [Vision2020] Devisiveness Must Stop

> Andreas wrote:
> > The Canon Press crowd, though it does happen to disagree with
> > Gary North about whether liberals should be picked off one by
> > one with sniper rifles or slaughtered wholesale like the
> > Amakelites when America "returns to its Christian roots,"
>
> Wow! Where did North say that? I'd like a reference, please.

Perhaps, Dale, you're not familiar with scare quotes when used by anyone but you. In any case, the Amalekite quote (from Doug!) follows below:

"Third, when a culture rebels against this ordinance of God in such a profound way, its days are necessarily numbered. Those followers of God within such a culture must prepare themselves for a deep civic division--a culture war--which will either destroy that nation or rend it to pieces. Wisdom says "all those who hate me love death" (Prov. 8:36). A culture which loves death cannot stand. If any of the godly are present within a culture possessed with such a death wish, the presence of two separate cultural orders will become increasingly obvious over time. At some point, two nations will emerge. Our fellow Americans will become to us Amalekites."

-- Doug Wilson, "Moving Beyond "Pro-Life"

For those of you who don't know the Amalekites, Josephus wrote this about their conquest:

"Accordingly, Saul made an irruption into the country of the Amalekites, and set many men in several parties in ambush at the river, that so he might not only do them a mischief by open fighting, but might fall upon them unexpectedly in the ways, and might thereby compass them round about, and kill them. And when he had joined battle with the enemy, he beat them; and pursuing them as they fled, he destroyed them all. And when that undertaking had succeeded, according as God had foretold, he set upon the cities of the Amalekites; he besieged them, and took them by force, partly by warlike machines, partly by mines dug under ground, and partly by building walls on the outsides. Some they starved out with famine, and some they gained by other methods; and after all, he betook himself to slay the women and the children, and thought he did not act therein either barbarously or inhumanly; first, because they were enemies whom he thus treated, and, in the next place, because it was
 done by the command of God, whom it was dangerous not to obey."

> > are
> > still Reconstructionists, and it's not at all unreasonable of
> > me to expect them to answer to Reconstructionist dogma, /even
> > if it is to say that they disagree with it/, which is
> > reasonable and, I might add, you did not do.
>
> Would you be willing to rephrase that sentence in English so I can
> understand what you are asking? I'd be glad to answer it.

Here, Dale. My last email must've gotten mysteriously truncated, because I rephrased it for you the first time. For the second time:

Do you, Dale, disagree that this is the purpose of Christian education? If so, stop evading. If not, this is simply another of your mindless, space-wasting trolls and not worth the time that I took answering it.