[Vision2020] Re:"Government Schools" vs. "Public Schools"

Joshua Nieuwsma joshuahendrik@yahoo.com
Tue, 11 Nov 2003 22:58:52 -0800 (PST)

--0-918957697-1068620332=:92209

Great Ideas, Mr. Arnold!!!

Only a couple of flaws. Can you think of any schools that are (in your own words) "locally funded and run"? I sure can't. Let's see, MSD gets a large portion of its money from the state, which in turn gets money from the federal government. Under your own definitions, then, if you really want to call privately run Christian schools "profit off your child schools" because they charge the parents directly, (though Logos doesn't make any profit whatsoever) then you'll have to call the local schools "federal schools" because they are funded (albeit indirectly, but with that direct intention) by federal tax dollars. The fact that there aren't any Local Government Public Schools is just a minor detail you forgot, though, I'm sure.

And why do we need to "concede" terms? Each side in the discussion defines terms as they see them. I see government schools in Moscow. I don't see "profit off your child schools" or "nobody in here schools" anywhere near zip code 83843. FYI, Logos barely scrapes by at the very low rates that they charge per student. I think costs per student are still around $4000, while the local government school averages about $6000 per student, and much lower quality at that. Sort of like paying $30,000 for a crappy Ford when you could spend $20,000 for a really nice Subaru, eh?

And by the way, I would be just as against private schools calling other schools government schools if they themselves are supported by public dollars. But Logos has not, nor ever will, seek or wish to receive public dollars of support. All costs are supported willingly by the parents who know that to send their kids to logos is to ensure that their children are taught well, in a healthy atmosphere that is absent completely of drugs or other bad influences, some thing the government schools have been unable to claim for a very long time. I recall seeing a notice on the doors of the MSH a while back that declared it illegal to take a gun into the building. What sort of school needs a sign saying that? Or another one pointing out the dangers of drugs? Logos is intentionally privately run and privately supported by willing parents (who started it, I might add), hence the name private... get it? Just like a private company that only gives employees stock in the company... Govern!
 ment
 schools are really government corporations, and private schools are really private corporations. Though not perhaps under the legal definition, but in practice they are.

I'd also point out that names are not nearly as useful when one is merely the negation of the other. A government school is not the opposite of a privately run school. They are different, yes, but not negations of each other. So to say "non-public schools" doesn't make sense because that is what they are, but so are many other things. It's not descriptive enough, to put it simply.

sincerely,

Joshua Nieuwsma

--0-918957697-1068620332=:92209

<DIV>
<DIV>Great Ideas, Mr. Arnold!!!</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Only a couple of flaws. <STRONG>Can <EM>you</EM> think of any schools that are (in your own words) "locally funded and run"?</STRONG> I sure can't. Let's see, MSD gets a large portion of its money from the state, which in turn gets money from the <U>federal government</U>. Under your own definitions, then, if you really want to call privately run Christian schools "profit off your child schools" because they charge the parents directly, (though Logos doesn't make any profit whatsoever)&nbsp;then you'll have to call the local schools "federal schools" because they are funded (albeit indirectly, but with that direct intention) by federal tax dollars. The fact that there aren't any Local Government Public Schools is just a minor detail you forgot, though, I'm sure.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>And why do we need to "concede" terms? Each side in the discussion defines terms as they see them. I see government schools in Moscow. I don't see "profit off your child schools" or "nobody in here schools" anywhere near zip code 83843. FYI, Logos&nbsp;barely scrapes by at the very low rates that they charge per student. I&nbsp;think costs per student are still around $4000, while the local government school&nbsp;averages about $6000 per student, and much lower quality at&nbsp;that. Sort of like paying&nbsp;$30,000 for a crappy Ford when you could spend $20,000 for a really nice Subaru, eh?&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>And by the way, I would be just as against private schools calling other schools government schools if they themselves are supported by public dollars. <STRONG>But Logos has not, nor ever will, seek or wish to receive public dollars of support.</STRONG> All costs are supported willingly by the parents who know that to send their kids to logos is to ensure that their children are taught well, in a healthy atmosphere that is absent completely of drugs or other bad influences, some thing the government schools have been unable to claim for a very long time. I recall seeing a notice on the doors of the MSH&nbsp;a while back that&nbsp;declared it illegal to take a gun&nbsp;into the building. What sort of school needs a sign saying that? Or another one pointing out the dangers of drugs?&nbsp;Logos is intentionally privately run and privately supported by willing parents <EM>(who started it, I might add)</EM>, hence the name private... get it? Just like a private company that !
 only
 gives employees stock in the company... Government schools are really government corporations, and private schools are really private corporations. Though not perhaps under the legal definition, but in practice they are.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I'd also point out that names are not nearly as useful when one is merely the negation of the other. A government school is not the opposite of a privately run school. They are different, yes, but not negations of each other. So to say "non-public schools" doesn't make sense because that <EM>is</EM> what they are, but so are many other things. It's not descriptive enough, to put it simply.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>sincerely, </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Joshua Nieuwsma</DIV></DIV><p><hr SIZE=1>
Do you Yahoo!?<br>
--0-918957697-1068620332=:92209--