[Vision2020] Government Involvement in Private Development

John Danahy jdanahy@turbonet.com
Fri, 7 Nov 2003 16:58:07 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_0003_01C3A550.54579AE0

Barbara sees no difference?  Isn't the main difference between downtown
revitalization and the Alturas park that downtown brings property tax
dollars to the city and the business park brings property tax dollars to =
the
business park?  I have no problem acknowledging the failure of the =
initial
idea of the business park.  I have no problem with allowing current
businesses to move into the park.  It is just that when such businesses =
buy
the lot, they should pay for their share of the infrastructure costs up
front, just like any other development, and when they pay property =
taxes,
they pay at the current rate to support city services, just like all =
other
businesses and homeowners.  The park is there, it should continue, but =
the
city needs to have an exit strategy in place, one that allows for an =
early,
if not immediate exit.

John

=20

------=_NextPart_000_0003_01C3A550.54579AE0

<head>
charset=3Dus-ascii">

<title>Bill,</title>

<!--
 /* Font Definitions */
 @font-face
	{font-family:"Arial Narrow";
	panose-1:2 11 5 6 2 2 2 3 2 4;}
 /* Style Definitions */
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman";
	color:black;}
p.MsoEnvelopeReturn, li.MsoEnvelopeReturn, div.MsoEnvelopeReturn
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:10.0pt;
	font-family:"Arial Narrow";
	color:black;}
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink
	{color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
a:visited, span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed
	{color:blue;
	text-decoration:underline;}
p.MsoAutoSig, li.MsoAutoSig, div.MsoAutoSig
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:12.0pt;
	font-family:"Times New Roman";
	color:black;}
pre
	{margin:0in;
	margin-bottom:.0001pt;
	font-size:10.0pt;
	font-family:"Courier New";
	color:black;}
span.EmailStyle20
	{font-family:Arial;
	color:navy;}
span.EmailStyle21
	{font-family:Arial;
	color:black;
	font-weight:normal;
	font-style:normal;
	text-decoration:none none;}
@page Section1
	{size:8.5in 11.0in;
	margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;}
div.Section1
	{page:Section1;}
-->

</head>

style=3D'font-size:
12.0pt;font-family:Arial'>Barbara sees no difference?&nbsp; Isn&#8217;t =
the
main difference between downtown revitalization and the Alturas park =
that
downtown brings property tax dollars to the city and the business park =
brings property
tax dollars to the business park?&nbsp; I have no problem acknowledging =
the
failure of the initial idea of the business park.&nbsp; I have no =
problem with
allowing current businesses to move into the park.&nbsp; It is just that =
when
such businesses buy the lot, they should pay for their share of the
infrastructure costs up front, just like any other development, and when =
they
pay property taxes, they pay at the current rate to support city =
services, just
like all other businesses and homeowners.&nbsp; The park is there, it =
should
continue, but the city needs to have an exit strategy in place, one that =
allows

style=3D'font-size:

Roman"><span

------=_NextPart_000_0003_01C3A550.54579AE0--