[Vision2020] Letter to the Editor!

Dale Courtney dmcourtn@moscow.com
Tue, 4 Nov 2003 15:04:21 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_009E_01C3A2E4.EDB6A8C0

Hey! The Argonaut ran my Letter to the Editor when the Daily News wouldn't!

See: http://hercules.argonaut.uidaho.edu:16080/current/opinion4.html

At this point, I have more respect for the Argonaut than for the Daily News
(which isn't saying much).

Best,
Dale

  _____

Editors failed to get the facts straight

Dear editor,

The Daily News editors decided to run a headline story based on information
from an incorrect, inflammatory and anonymous flier. That article Oct. 11
contained the following: Sanchez "decided to research the Christ
Church-sponsored conference in February that features the authors discussing
history and slavery." You have to wonder how much research Raul Sanchez did
when he does not even know what the topic of the conference is. Perhaps for
him and the Daily News, research means relying on an anonymous flier? First,
the History Conference is not, nor has it ever been, about slavery. See the
following:
<http://www.christkirk.com/HistoryConferences/9thHistoryConference/Topics.as
p> www.christkirk.com/HistoryConferences/9thHistoryConference/Topics.asp.
Second, there has never been any intent to give a defense of slavery. And
finally, it is not a UI conference. On Oct. 15, the Daily News editors
issued the following "qualification" in Accuracy Matters: "The conference,
sponsored by Credenda/ Agenda, will cover the topics of revolution and
modernity. Incomplete information appeared in the Daily News."

However, not only was the information provided incomplete, it was factually
incorrect. Further, the article was carried subsequently in the Lewiston
Morning Tribune and The Idaho Statesman - they also carried the incorrect
information.

The Associated Press's "Code of Ethics"
(www.apme.com/about/code_ethics.shtml) lists journalistic standards for
accuracy, integrity and independence? In it, the AP says that a "newspaper
should guard against inaccuracies, carelessness, bias or distortion through
emphasis, omission or technological manipulation. It should acknowledge
substantive errors and correct them promptly and prominently."

Creating news is more a tactic of the National Enquirer than of reputable
newspapers. We should all guard against spinning and twisting the news so
that it agrees with our biases and prejudices.

Dale Courtney
Moscow

------=_NextPart_000_009E_01C3A2E4.EDB6A8C0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1264" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D100340123-04112003><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =
size=3D2>Hey!=20
The Argonaut ran my Letter to the Editor when the Daily News=20
wouldn't!</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D100340123-04112003><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =

size=3D2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D100340123-04112003><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =
size=3D2>See:=20
<A=20
href=3D"http://hercules.argonaut.uidaho.edu:16080/current/opinion4.html">=
http://hercules.argonaut.uidaho.edu:16080/current/opinion4.html</A></FONT=
></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff size=3D2><SPAN =
class=3D100340123-04112003>At=20
this point, I have more respect for the Argonaut than for the Daily News =
(which=20
isn't saying much). </SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV align=3Dleft><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =
size=3D2>Best,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Vladimir Script" color=3D#0000ff =
size=3D5>Dale</FONT><FONT=20
face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D4><BR></FONT></DIV><FONT =
color=3D#0000ff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>
<HR>
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#800000><FONT face=3DArial><FONT =
size=3D2><STRONG>Editors failed to=20
get the facts straight<BR></STRONG><BR>Dear editor, <BR><BR>The Daily =
News=20
editors decided to run a headline story based on information from an =
incorrect,=20
inflammatory and anonymous flier. That article Oct. 11 contained the =
following:=20
Sanchez &#8220;decided to research the Christ Church-sponsored =
conference in February=20
that features the authors discussing history and slavery.&#8221; You =
have to wonder=20
how much research Raul Sanchez did when he does not even know what the =
topic of=20
the conference is. Perhaps for him and the Daily News, research means =
relying on=20
an anonymous flier? First, the History Conference is not, nor has it =
ever been,=20
about slavery. See the following: </FONT></FONT><A=20
href=3D"http://www.christkirk.com/HistoryConferences/9thHistoryConference=
/Topics.asp"><FONT=20
face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>www.christkirk.com/HistoryConferences/9thHistoryConference/Topic=
s.asp</FONT></A></FONT><FONT=20
face=3DArial color=3D#800000 size=3D2>. Second, there has never been any =
intent to=20
give a defense of slavery. And finally, it is not a UI conference. On =
Oct. 15,=20
the Daily News editors issued the following &#8220;qualification&#8221; =
in Accuracy Matters:=20
&#8220;The conference, sponsored by Credenda/ Agenda, will cover the =
topics of=20
revolution and modernity. Incomplete information appeared in the Daily=20
News.&#8221;<BR><BR>However, not only was the information provided =
incomplete, it was=20
factually incorrect. Further, the article was carried subsequently in =
the=20
Lewiston Morning Tribune and The Idaho Statesman &#8212; they also =
carried the=20
incorrect information.<BR><BR>The Associated Press&#8217;s &#8220;Code =
of Ethics&#8221; (<A=20
href=3D"http://www.apme.com/about/code_ethics.shtml">www.apme.com/about/c=
ode_ethics.shtml</A></FONT><FONT=20
face=3DArial color=3D#800000 size=3D2>) lists journalistic standards for =
accuracy,=20
integrity and independence? In it, the AP says that a &#8220;newspaper =
should guard=20
against inaccuracies, carelessness, bias or distortion through emphasis, =

omission or technological manipulation. It should acknowledge =
substantive errors=20
and correct them promptly and prominently.&#8221;<BR><BR>Creating news =
is more a=20
tactic of the National Enquirer than of reputable newspapers. We should =
all=20
guard against spinning and twisting the news so that it agrees with our =
biases=20
and prejudices.<BR><BR>Dale =
Courtney<BR>Moscow</FONT></DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_009E_01C3A2E4.EDB6A8C0--