[Vision2020] Diversity 1,2,3

Melynda Huskey mghuskey@hotmail.com
Sun, 2 Nov 2003 19:52:46 -0800

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C3A17A.E2DAAD90

Dear Doug,

It *is* a little complicated, but I'm happy to clarify:

Race is socially constructed.
The social construction of "whiteness" in the U.S. (and in other places) =
has conferred disproportionate power and unearned benefit on some people.
Many of those "white" people have deliberately used that power to harm ot=
hers who are not "white."
All "white" people participate in racist systems which harm others who ar=
e not "white."

Melynda Huskey

----- Original Message -----
From: Douglas
Sent: Saturday, November 01, 2003 10:47 AM
To: vision2020@moscow.com
Subject: Re: [Vision2020] Diversity 1,2,3

Visionaries,

In sum, there is no such thing as the white race, and they have been guil=
ty =20
of some awful crimes.

Cordially,

Douglas Wilson

At 06:19 PM 10/31/2003 -0800, you wrote:
> [...]
>colleges, couldn't work in most offices, couldn't hold elected office, =20
>weren't allowed access to many professional positions . . .
>
>Nevertheless, there would be no Pullman without the Chinese who built =20
>railroads, cities, and businesses from East to West, all while they bein=
g =20
>denied the most basic of human rights.  Our nation developed as it did i=
n =20
>part because of the prosperity and wealth created by a slave economy for=
 a =20
>small white elite; there would have been no cotton mills in New England =20
>without slaves in the South.  No university without the French, who =20
>founded the very first one in 1170, closely followed by the Germans, the=
 =20
>Portuguese and the Spanish -- only some of whom are presently defined as=
 =20
>"white" in the U.S.  No rule of law without Hammurabi's Code -- thank yo=
u, =20
>Turkey and Iraq.  No democracy without the Athenians and the Iroquois --=
 =20
>but in 1915, we didn't want too many of those "non-white" Greeks to =20
>immigrate, and we'd done our best to extirpate the Iroquois.
>
>Why would my existence, or yours, be endangered by acknowledging that =20
>everything of value to us did not come from the hands or brain of a whit=
e =20
>person (whatever we imagine that to mean) and that the systematic =20
>privileging of some people in our society has resulted in =20
>injustice?  Diversity is not a word I'm particularly crazy about as a =20
>rallying point:  I think justice works a whole lot better.  A racist =20
>society is not a just one.  A sexist society is not a just one.
>Finally, Rodney asks,
>
> >Would you, in your OFFICIAL capacity at WSU'S Office of Diversity and
> >Human Relations, EMBRACE the inclusion of the League of the South as a
> >student group?  [Hint: the words "official" and "embrace" are emphasiz=
ed
> >for a reason.]
>
>Would I, as the Director of the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Allies Progr=
am =20
>or as a member of the HRD staff (my OFFICIAL role at WSU), EMBRACE a =20
>student branch of the League of the South?  The opportunity would not =20
>arise.  You're thinking, perhaps, of Student Affairs?
>
>Would I strive to prohibit the establishment of a student League of the =20
>South?  No, I emphatically would not.
>
>Would I encourage critical thinking among its members, and public dialog=
ue =20
>and debate about the goals and purpose of the League and its role on our=
 =20
>campus?  Absolutely.  With all my heart.
>Melynda Huskey
>(preparing to put four candles on a chocolate cake for the sweetest =20

com

List services made available by First Step Internet, =20
serving the communities of the Palouse since 1994.   =20
               http://www.fsr.net                       =20
          mailto:Vision2020@moscow.com
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////Get more from the We=
b.  FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C3A17A.E2DAAD90

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV>Dear Doug,</DI=
V> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>It *is* a little complicated, but I'm happy to =
clarify:</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Race is socially constructed.</DIV>=
 <DIV>The social construction of "whiteness" in the U.S. (and in other pl=
aces) has conferred disproportionate power and unearned benefit&nbsp;on s=
ome people.</DIV> <DIV>Many of those "white" people have deliberately use=
d that power to harm others who are not "white."</DIV> <DIV>All "white" p=
eople participate in racist systems which harm others who are not "white.=
"</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Melynda Huskey</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DI=
V>----- Original Message -----</DIV> <BLOCKQUOTE style=3D"PADDING-RIGHT: =
0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid;=
 MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px"> <DIV style=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; FONT: 10pt Arial;=
 COLOR: black"><B>From:</B> Douglas</DIV> <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt Arial"=
><B>Sent:</B> Saturday, November 01, 2003 10:47 AM</DIV> <DIV style=3D"FO=
NT: 10pt Arial"><B>To:</B> vision2020@moscow.com</DIV> <DIV style=3D"FONT=
: 10pt Arial"><B>Subject:</B> Re: [Vision2020] Diversity 1,2,3</DIV> <DIV=
>&nbsp;</DIV><BR>Visionaries,<BR><BR>In sum, there is no such thing as th=
e white race, and they have been guilty <BR>of some awful crimes.<BR><BR>=
Cordially,<BR><BR>Douglas Wilson<BR><BR><BR><BR>At 06:19 PM 10/31/2003 -0=
800, you wrote:<BR>&gt;Rodney asks:<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;So here we sit, l=
ong story short, in the city of Pullman (founded by<BR>&gt; &gt;whom?), i=
n the State of Washington (constituted by whom?), in the hallowed<BR>&gt;=
 &gt;halls of WSU (started by whom?), surrounded by wheat fields (first t=
illed<BR>&gt; &gt;by whom?), poised in front of our digital displays (inv=
ented by<BR>&gt; &gt;whom?--forget about who manufactured it), arguing ov=
er the merits and<BR>&gt; &gt;contributions of, well, just about our very=
 existence I guess.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;Far from demonstrating your point abou=
t the "obvious contributions of the <BR>&gt;white race," Rodney, I think =
your paragraph demonstrates how easy it is <BR>&gt;for us to imagine that=
 "white race" means something.&nbsp; There's just one <BR>&gt;race:&nbsp;=
 human.&nbsp; Internal variation among various groups of humans exceeds <=
BR>&gt;variation across groups.&nbsp; (Take a look at the AAA "Statement =
on 'race,'" <BR>&gt;&lt;http://www.aanet.org/stmts/racepp.htm&gt;www.aane=
t.org/stmts/racepp.htm). <BR>&gt;Definitions of what constitutes "white"<=
BR>&gt;have varied immensely across time.&nbsp; Are the Spanish white?&nb=
sp; Are the <BR>&gt;Jewish?&nbsp; Both Sephardic and Ashkenazi?&nbsp; And=
 what about the Greeks, the <BR>&gt;Slavs, and the Italians?&nbsp; Differ=
ent ages have given different answers.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;Your examples seem =
to imply that the city of Pullman, the state of <BR>&gt;Washington, WSU, =
and computers are the "inventions" of white people -- and <BR>&gt;we migh=
t even say white men -- and in one sense, they are.&nbsp; In a nation <BR=
>&gt;founded on the principle that black people are property, that women =
are <BR>&gt;property, that non-white/non-English-speaking immigrants are =
dangerous, <BR>&gt;and that the First Nations are to be exterminated, one=
 wouldn't expect to <BR>&gt;see many women, people of color, or immigrant=
s empowered to found <BR>&gt;colleges, states,<BR>&gt;or towns.&nbsp; My =
goodness, my grandmother was born into a United States in <BR>&gt;which w=
omen couldn't vote, in which Native People couldn't vote, in which <BR>&g=
t;most black people were not permitted to vote.&nbsp; We couldn't go to m=
ost <BR>&gt;colleges, couldn't work in most offices, couldn't hold electe=
d office, <BR>&gt;weren't allowed access to many professional positions .=
 . .<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;Nevertheless, there would be no Pullman without the C=
hinese who built <BR>&gt;railroads, cities, and businesses from East to W=
est, all while they being <BR>&gt;denied the most basic of human rights.&=
nbsp; Our nation developed as it did in <BR>&gt;part because of the prosp=
erity and wealth created by a slave economy for a <BR>&gt;small white eli=
te; there would have been no cotton mills in New England <BR>&gt;without =
slaves in the South.&nbsp; No university without the French, who <BR>&gt;=
founded the very first one in 1170, closely followed by the Germans, the =
<BR>&gt;Portuguese and the Spanish -- only some of whom are presently def=
ined as <BR>&gt;"white" in the U.S.&nbsp; No rule of law without Hammurab=
i's Code -- thank you, <BR>&gt;Turkey and Iraq.&nbsp; No democracy withou=
t the Athenians and the Iroquois -- <BR>&gt;but in 1915, we didn't want t=
oo many of those "non-white" Greeks to <BR>&gt;immigrate, and we'd done o=
ur best to extirpate the Iroquois.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;Why would my existence,=
 or yours, be endangered by acknowledging that <BR>&gt;everything of valu=
e to us did not come from the hands or brain of a white <BR>&gt;person (w=
hatever we imagine that to mean) and that the systematic <BR>&gt;privileg=
ing of some people in our society has resulted in <BR>&gt;injustice?&nbsp=
; Diversity is not a word I'm particularly crazy about as a <BR>&gt;rally=
ing point:&nbsp; I think justice works a whole lot better.&nbsp; A racist=
 <BR>&gt;society is not a just one.&nbsp; A sexist society is not a just =
one.<BR>&gt;Finally, Rodney asks,<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;Would you, in your =
OFFICIAL capacity at WSU'S Office of Diversity and<BR>&gt; &gt;Human Rela=
tions, EMBRACE the inclusion of the League of the South as a<BR>&gt; &gt;=
student group?&nbsp; [Hint: the words "official" and "embrace" are emphas=
ized<BR>&gt; &gt;for a reason.]<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;Would I, as the Director o=
f the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, and Allies Program <BR>&gt;or as a member o=
f the HRD staff (my OFFICIAL role at WSU), EMBRACE a <BR>&gt;student bran=
ch of the League of the South?&nbsp; The opportunity would not <BR>&gt;ar=
ise.&nbsp; You're thinking, perhaps, of Student Affairs?<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;W=
ould I strive to prohibit the establishment of a student League of the <B=
R>&gt;South?&nbsp; No, I emphatically would not.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;Would I e=
ncourage critical thinking among its members, and public dialogue <BR>&gt=
;and debate about the goals and purpose of the League and its role on our=
 <BR>&gt;campus?&nbsp; Absolutely.&nbsp; With all my heart.<BR>&gt;Melynd=
a Huskey<BR>&gt;(preparing to put four candles on a chocolate cake for th=
e sweetest <BR>&gt;birthday boy in Moscow)<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt;-------=
---<BR>&gt;Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download : http://exp=
lorer.msn.com<BR><BR><BR>________________________________________________=
_____<BR>List services made available by First Step Internet, <BR>serving=
 the communities of the Palouse since 1994.&nbsp;&nbsp; <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&=
nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; h=
ttp://www.fsr.net&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&n=
bsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp; <BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; mailto:Vis=
//<BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML><br clear=3Dall><hr>Get more from the We=
b.  FREE MSN Explorer download : <a href=3D'http://explorer.msn.com'>http=

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C3A17A.E2DAAD90--