[Vision2020] Diversity 1,2,3

rodney johnson rodneyjohnsoniii@hotmail.com
Mon, 03 Nov 2003 01:15:32 +0000

Melynda really opened up a can of worms in her last post, and so before
signing off this thread for good, I think I’ll string a few on a hook to see
if I can get any nibbles…

South, I guess we’re back to Orwell’s barnyard basics, in that some groups
are more “diverse” than others.

Subtly back-stepping from the path to “diversity,” now we finally have a
real destination: a just society.  Who provides the roadmap is, as it has
been throughout history, up for grabs.  Actually, Melynda, I think you
really mean “equity” instead of “justice,” but that’s a whole other topic on
marketing.  The “just society” thing probably came from Allan Johnson’s
recent presentation at WSU that your office helped sponsor.  And that’s
exemplary of how these concepts are born and take orbit in the heads of
academics; e.g., one "anti-racism" educator comes to town and declares some
mesmerizing and trendy platitude with alleged links to the world of ideas
and, boom, the echo chamber fills.  As long as the topic is the right topic,
and the credentials the right credentials, critical thinking takes a back
seat.  In any event, I have this lurking feeling that a “just society,”
according to HRD and Melynda, is 99.5% Eurocentric.  Why do I think this?

Well, let’s talk a little about pre-European notions of justice.  We could
talk about the slavery practiced by the First Nations, and not only how the
indigenous men of this country treated their slaves and prisoners of war,
but also, since you brought “sexism” into the discussion, how they treated
their wives (whether multiple or singular) and “empowered” them to build
cities, states, and universities.  Now before Melynda reprimands me by
pointing to some isolated utopian matriarchy in the Hawaiian islands, I want
to say that what I refer to is the “real history” she has said we ought to
know (in which, I think, the exception to the rule should not carry the
day), instead of the history by cameo appearance that says that Pullman
wouldn’t exist if it weren’t for Chinese laborers.

A view of history that looks at a city like Pullman (named after the
inventor of the sleeper car, I might add) and says, “If it weren’t for the
Chinese…,” is not a view that is grounded in reality.  The same for a view
that sees the generational progeny of Plymouth and Jamestown, culminating in
the vast majority of American settlements and towns across the Midwest and
all the way to Pullman (y’know, one after another with the water tower and
flagpole predominant above the sky line) as being established by a “small
white elite.”  The same for the view that forgets to recognize the hellavu
lot of white men (yes I think they were all men, since the women had not yet
been “empowered” for that type of labor) who laid railroad ties and tracks.

And since they are from Europe but may not be “white” (whatever that means),
we could look to the Athenians, as Melynda mentioned, or even to the Romans,
for their thoughts on slavery.  On second thought, maybe we shouldn’t.
Taking a turn toward the Fertile Crescent, we could talk about the Hammurabi
Code (for which Melynda personally thanked Iraq and Turkey).  Good grief!
Have you ever read that code?  When it comes to women, slaves, and
homosexuals, Hammurabi makes the Book of Leviticus look like a walk in the
park!  Heading to the Global South, we could even talk to the individuals
who were and are part of the flood of nonwhite immigrants into this nation,
to ask them how their societies of origin, which they left behind in
earnest, had “empowered” them with opportunities for self-fulfillment.

I guess that in defining a “just society” that is not Eurocentric, the best
way for Human Relations and Diversity to ensure that the definition is truly
inclusive would be to network with like Offices of
Diversity/Multiculturalism/Human Relations/Goodwill toward Persons in other
non-European, non-Western nations for their input.  Only problem is, good
luck in finding any!

- Rod Johnson

Want to check if your PC is virus-infected?  Get a FREE computer virus scan
online from McAfee.