[Vision2020] Liberal or Communist

Law Office of Duncan Palmatier dpalm@dpalmlaw.com
Wed, 28 May 2003 10:49:15 -0700

--------------070301010908060606030904

Cjsnightclub@aol.com wrote:

> ... Here are some simple facts. THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH PEOPLE IN THIS
> TOWN TO SUPPORT WHAT THE LIBERALS WANT. Look at Russia. It could not
> do it either....

Dear Vision 2020:

The USSR could not afford their MILITARY.

This should be a significant lesson to us as we in this country spend a
larger share of our taxes on military, police and prisons.

The federal government has significantly reduced spending on social
programs. States have been forced to handle these programs. In turn,
increased state support for social programs has forced states to
decrease spending on education, especially higher education. One result
is that state universities and colleges, which once were free to
students, are now almost as costly as private institutions. A related
result is that students are amassing large debt before they have any
income to repay it. As these students enter the job market, they will
have less money to be taxed. With the Baby Boomers starting to collect
social security, the result will be the substantial reduction or
collapse of our social programs.

In addition, as the Bush administration increases military spending and
reduces taxes, one effect will be to create a large federal deficit,
which will lead to depreciation of the dollar, higher interest rates and
a trade deficit. Another effect will be to shift the tax burden for
education and social programs to the states. This will affect us all,
but smaller states, such as Idaho, will be hardest hit, because the
share of federal taxes distributed to the states will be reduced (Idaho
gets more federal money back than it pays out). Large states, such as
California, will be less affected (it pays out more federal taxes than
it gets back).

In other Vision 2020 messages, I see a debate over government support
for the Alturas "Technology" Park. It is interesting that all sides seem
to agree that this GOVERNMENT project succeeded in attracting and
retaining some high tech businesses with good paying jobs, which
resulted in prosperity for us here, in Moscow. This type of project will
not be possible if taxes are limited to essential services.

I close by expressing support for the "liberal" projects ridiculed in
the original post. I enjoy the pool, skate park, ice-skating rink,
community center, and fireworks. I am glad my taxes support these
projects. I also support a strong U.S. military with an active
international role, although I want to see us work with the United
Nations rather than against it. But, I disagree with the short-sighted
policies of the Bush administration designed to benefit only the rich
and corporate interests.

Duncan Palmatier

--------------070301010908060606030904

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
<a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:Cjsnightclub@aol.com">Cjsnightclub@aol.com</a> wrote:<br>
 face="arial,helvetica"><font size="2" family="SANSSERIF" face="Arial"
 lang="0">... Here are some simple facts. THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH PEOPLE IN
THIS TOWN TO SUPPORT WHAT THE LIBERALS WANT. Look at Russia. It could not
Dear Vision 2020:<br>
The USSR could not afford their MILITARY.<br>
This should be a significant lesson to us as we in this country spend a larger
share of our taxes on military, police and prisons.<br>
The federal government has significantly reduced spending on social programs.
States have been forced to handle these programs. In turn, increased state
support for social programs has forced states to decrease spending on education,
especially higher education. One result is that state universities and colleges,
which once were free to students, are now almost as costly as private institutions.
A related result is that students are amassing large debt before they have
any income to repay it. As these students enter the job market, they will
have less money to be taxed. With the Baby Boomers starting to collect social
security, the result will be the substantial reduction or collapse of our
social programs.<br>
In addition, as the Bush administration increases military spending and reduces
taxes, one effect will be to create a large federal deficit, which will lead
to depreciation of the dollar, higher interest rates and a trade deficit.
Another effect will be to shift the tax burden for education and social programs
to the states. This will affect us all, but smaller states, such as Idaho,
will be hardest hit, because the share of federal taxes distributed to the
states will be reduced (Idaho gets more federal money back than it pays out).
Large states, such as California, will be less affected (it pays out more
federal taxes than it gets back).<br>
In other Vision 2020 messages, I see a debate over government support for
the Alturas "Technology" Park. It is interesting that all sides seem to agree
that this GOVERNMENT project succeeded in attracting and retaining some high
tech businesses with good paying jobs, which resulted in prosperity for us
here, in Moscow. This type of project will not be possible if taxes are limited
to essential services.<br>
I close by expressing support for the "liberal" projects ridiculed in the
original post. I enjoy the pool, skate park, ice-skating rink, community
center, and fireworks. I am glad my taxes support these projects. I also
support a strong U.S. military with an active international role, although
I want to see us work with the United Nations rather than against it. But,
I disagree with the short-sighted policies of the Bush administration designed
to benefit only the rich and corporate interests.<br>
Duncan Palmatier<br>

--------------070301010908060606030904--