[Vision2020] Deep in the Matrix a Voice is Heard Whispering...

Ted Moffett ted_moffett@hotmail.com
Sat, 24 May 2003 00:14:42 +0000

Doug, et. al.

There are numerous logical and mathematical constructions, "ideas," that we
do not have any evidence correspond empirically to events in the "physical"
world.

In computers logic is expressed in the physical world in a manner that gives
credence to the logical principles validity in terms of operating in the
physical world, in that the logic embedded in the physical devices of the
computer as it operates gives us computational results that are logical.
The logical principles embedded in the computer as it operates must indeed
follow rules that if broken will result in false computations, whether or
not you think this is "logical necessity."

There are numerous very clever arguments to refute this view of computers,
logic and physics, but philosophy and theology are replete with the most
astonishing fantasies and constructions of the human mind, that do not hold
up to empirical evidence, but sound very convincing, even logical!

I never suggested logic involves "frictionless, immaterial, eternal
stuff..." as your phrased it.  You must define what "immaterial" or
"eternal" means here, though "frictionless" is less vague.   When a computer
calculates an equation, this event as it happens is not described by any one
of those three words, yet logic is involved in on/off states, powered by
wires and electricity, that represent the binary code, which is a very
exacting logical mathematical process.  There is friction as electricity
passes through wires and chips, computer chips are made of physical
materials, silicon, etc. and the computations can take only seconds, they
are not "eternal."

It appears your rejection of an intermingling of logic and physics in
computers in a manner that does not destroy logic is the fantasy here!

Or do you mean logic in the Platonic Ideal?  Are logical "ideas" expected to
be "perfect, eternal and unchanging?"  That they cannot become physical
without being "destroyed" or rendered "imperfect?"

I will concede I have no proof that the laws of logic are "eternal," that
they may not suddenly change for some reason either comprehensible or not.
Nor do I claim to have solved the problems of "Universals and Particulars"
as it is posed in philosophy.

But to claim we must have proof that the laws of logic are "perfect, eternal
and unchanging" before we proceed with basing our lives on the empirically
observed results such laws provide, is an odd expectation for someone who
may lack such proof for their own beliefs in the "perfect and eternal."

For you to deny that there are very precise principles of LOGIC involved in
the PHYSICAL operation of computers, by insisting such logical principles
must involve "frictionless, immaterial, eternal stuff..." is to engage in
obscurantism.

I rather like Spinoza's arguments that everything that happens is in the
mind of God!  In his Idealism is a simplicity that rids us of the messy
dualities of physical vs. logical or physical vs immaterial or the physical
vs. the ideal, dualities which present riddles no one seems able to totally
solve.

But I don't think his views support the Trinity.

See you in the Matrix!

Ted