[Vision2020] Slander by what standard?

Douglas dougwils@moscow.com
Thu, 22 May 2003 09:54:51 -0700

Dear visionaries,

My faults are many and grievous. But I am not guilty of all vices, and one
of the places where I do just fine is in not taking offense when someone
"pokes fun." If you stick your head through the canvas in the booth at the
county fair, you can't act surprised when people throw softballs at it. But
I can assure you that the behavior of Mr. Stambler that I was referring to
had nothing whatever to do with poking fun.

So, an open invitation to all my critics. Poke fun as you like. Liberty
hall. I frequently get a good chuckle myself when one of you lands a good
one -- Joan O comes to mind.

At the same time, being mortal, I do prefer it when my critics argue in
such a way as to poke fun at themselves, as when they raise charges of
white supremacy, presbyterian cultishness, and homophobia falsely
so-called. Like Wayne Fox's letter to the editor last night. Anti-Semitism?
It is comparatively hard to get a conservative minister like myself to
think something like "what the hell?" But at least I didn't say it.

Cordially,

Douglas Wilson