[Vision2020] News Article, Mental Illness, Fixation of Belief Discussion

Art Deco deco@moscow.com
Tue, 20 May 2003 16:27:30 -0700

Re: On being Stalin

I do not believe that linguistic communication works if contradictions are
believed to mean more than confusion and/or more serious problems on the
part of those making or believing the contradictory statements.

You in continuing to participate in this discussion do not allow
contradictions except when they further your ends.  I am no such hypocrite.
I renounce all of them.

Claims of mental problems of those believing in contradictions, unevidenced
statements, and/or statements plainly contrary to observation are backed by
research and observations by many qualified scientists.  Although you most
likely yield to research when you go to a medical doctor for treatment, you
choose to ignore it when it conflicts with your metaphysics.

I freely admit in hoping for certain truths but not being able to prove
them, e.g. the material world will continue to operate in predicable ways, a
modern version of Occam's razor, etc.

If you want to ignore logic as it now exists, then don't be a hypocrite and
use it when it suits your purpose but disown it when it does not.

The formal definition of an argument includes the supposition that a
contradiction is a false statement.

If you respond to message with an argument, you will make my point very
nicely.

Wayne Fox