[Vision2020] MSD Student-to-Teacher ratio

Dale Courtney dale@courtneys.us
Sun, 18 May 2003 08:44:27 -0700

Doug Farris did some quick back of the napkin calculations and asks why
MSD's budget is 2-3 times more than the teacher's salaries.

There are *tons* of admin and other staff that get paid, not just teachers.
Here's what the State reports for the 4 "Activity Groups" on government
school staff:

1. District Administration
	Superintendent
	Assistant Superintendent
	Director
	Supervisor/Coordinator
2. School Administration
	Elementary Principal
	Secondary Principal
	Assistant Principal
3. Student Services
	Education Media Generalist
	Counselor
	Psychological Examiner
	School Psychologist
	Speech/Language Pathologist
	Audiologist
	School Social Worker
	School Nurse
	Occupational/Physical Therapist
4. Instructional Services
	Elementary Teacher
	Secondary Teacher

State-wide (I do not have the numbers for MSD *yet*) the State's
administrative/services overhead is 15 percent of the total FTE staff.
However, the *salaries* of those administrative personnel is
disproportionately more than for the teachers.

For instance, the salaries of the following 7 "classes" of admin are 2 to
over 3 times as high as the teachers themselves:
	Superintendent
	Asst. Superintendent
	Director
	Supervisor/Coordinator
	Principal-Elementary
	Principal-Secondary
	Assistant Principal

We ask for money for our teachers, and the majority goes to overhead...

I'll have more to follow on this matter.

Best,
Dale Courtney
Moscow, Idaho