[Vision2020] MSD Student-to-Teacher ratio

Don Kaag dkaag@turbonet.com
Thu, 15 May 2003 16:52:34 -0700

--Apple-Mail-12--426373369

Dale:

You are over-simplifying.

You have to know how statistics are arrived at in order to use them to=20=

realistically portray class size and teacher load.

What the District reports to the State is a simple average of total=20
number of certified teachers and total number of students in the=20
district.  It fails to take into account a number of factors, such as:

1. Certified teachers employed by the District in jobs other than=20
student-contact jobs.

2.  Teachers teaching such non-academic subjects as Band and Chorus,=20
which Moscow patrons have overwhelmingly supported.

3. Both gifted and talented and special education teachers whose=20
student loads per class period must be much smaller than the average=20
class in order to give more individual attention to students.

4. Scheduling problems which overload teachers in one class period and=20=

under-load them in others, especially at the junior high and high=20
school.

As an example, I have one U.S. History section of 19 students, and one=20=

of 26, which fills all of the desks in my classroom.  I have worked=20
with the counselors and the administration at the high school to get it=20=

fixed, but it is a complicated scheduling dance involving required=20
courses, electives, and when I and the other teacher teaching U.S.=20
History have our prep periods.  Last year this problem was solved by=20
hiring a part-time teacher to teach several periods of U.S. History. =20
With downsizing, that job went away, and we lost flexibility.

It isn't as easy as it appears, and very few teachers in this district=20=

are teaching 15.22 students a day (in the case of the elementary=20
schools...) or per period (at the junior high and the high school).

Regards,

Don Kaag

On Thursday, May 15, 2003, at 06:02 AM, Dale Courtney wrote:

> Visionaries,
> =A0
> Someone on this list once commented to me that in spite of the=20
> declining MSD student numbers (15% in 7 years), we should keep the=20
> number of teachers constant so that we can have the appropriate-sized=20=

> classroom ratios.
> =A0
> I pulled the string on that recommendation. Here's the results that=20
> MSD reported to the State of Idaho's annual statistical report for=20
> 2002-2003:
>
> =95 	MSD's student-to-teacher ratio is 15.22
> =95 	Of the 25 school districts with >2,500 students, only one =
(Blaine=20
> County) had a smaller ratio.
> =95 	Note: MSD reported 2,575 students in this report. They will fall =
to=20
> a third-tier school (<2,500) at the end of this year.
> =95 	Of the 54 school districts with >1,000 students, only one other=20=

> school district (Grangeville) had a smaller ratio (15.19).
>
> What does this mean? It means that MSD already had the 3rd smallest=20
> student-to-teacher ratio in the state.
> =A0
> FWIW, the state averages for large=A0districts=A0was 18.84, =
medium-sized=20
> districts was 18.04, and small districts was 17.88.
> =A0
> Finally, with the student population at MSD falling at a rate of 3%=20
> per year, we'll have achieved the lowest ratio in the state by the end=20=

> of next year.
> =A0
> Time to ask for more levy money to right-size those classrooms!
> =A0
> Best,
> Dale Courtney
> Moscow, Idaho

--Apple-Mail-12--426373369

Dale:

You are over-simplifying. =20

[...]

it fixed, but it is a complicated scheduling dance involving required