[Vision2020] Douglas Wilson's Rationale: Logos School {Rationalization in this case, not rationale}

Art Deco deco@moscow.com
Sun, 11 May 2003 08:45:36 -0700

Re: Remarks of Ted Moffett

I agree that superstition plays an important role in many people's lives.
Santa Claus, Mother Goose, and god(s) are examples.  Belief in soothing but
unverifiable or false beliefs is a normal psychological defense mechanism.
Those mechanisms become pathological, however, when the believer cannot
distinguish fantasy from reality in the long term.  A common joke among many
is that the religious are those whose parents finally told them there is no
Santa Claus, but forgot to tell them the same about god(s).

Thousands of different gods are still worshiped today.  Some of the
worshippers of these gods tenaciously hold that their alleged god is the
only true one, etc.  The problem is that there is no way to unequivocally
test to see which, if any, of these contradictory beliefs are true.

I agree that rhetorically and strategically that to successfully challenge a
religious person's view point means discussing and showing their fundamental
assumptions improbable or contradictory.

However, from a logical point of view, there is another way to skin a cat..
The truth of  their fundamental assumptions can be challenged sometimes
successfully by showing the absurd conclusions that follow from them.  If A
implies B, then not B implies not A.  Unfortunately, logic and belief part
ways when compartmentalization, rationalization, and other defense
mechanisms enter into the picture.  This is true not only of religious but
of most important to a person, strongly held, unverifiable (sometimes as in
the case of love,
for example, verifiable) beliefs.

People may believe and express their beliefs freely.  Harm comes when they
act on some of their fantasy beliefs and/or try to impose them on others.

Thank you for responding to my opinion.