[Vision2020] Pro football...

Don Kaag dkaag@turbonet.com
Wed, 7 May 2003 18:01:10 -0700

Visionaries:

I know that many of you are rabid  college football fans, but I have to
go with Bob Hoffman on this one.  We should get out of the pro football
and basketball farm team business and back to real college kids playing
sports because it's fun, and hang what league we're in at UI.

Once upon a time, when I was writing a regular opinion column for the
Idahonian/Daily News.  I wanted to do a piece on college althetics, so
I contacted the UI athetic department and asked them the following
questions.

1.  How much do the basketball and football programs cost annually?
2.  How many of the players on the varsity squads are A)from out of
state, and B)on full scholarship?
3.  How much do we spend on those scholarships?
4.  Of those players on full scholarships from out of state, how many
graduate with a degree from UI?

I couldn't get any answers.  I wrote the column with what I could find
out by asking around.  The following Saturday, the head of the UI
athletic department called me at home and raved at me for writing an
inaccurate column about his programs.  I explained that I had contacted
his office and was given the runaround, but that I was willing, if he
would answer the questions for me, to do another column retracting
anything I had written that was inaccurate.

Although he said things like, "Idaho has a small population, and to be
competitive we have to recruit players from out of state", and, "I have
had fans come up to me at football games and hand me checks for $20,000
to support the athletics programs", he never answered the questions.

I pointed out to him that there are colleges and universities that
pretty much suck at football and basketball, but that have millions in
endowments because alumni have dontated money to support academic
excellence.  He laughed.

I still have the questions.  And I still don't have any answers.

Regards,

Don Kaag