[Vision2020] Iraqi Deserter Tells of Desperation

John Harrell johnbharrell@yahoo.com
Mon, 31 Mar 2003 12:22:08 -0800 (PST)

--0-708360435-1049142128=:38623

Iraqi Deserter Tells of Desperation

By BRIAN MURPHY .c The Associated Press 3/31/03

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/apmideast_story.asp?category=1107&slug=War%20Deserter's%20Story

KALAK, Iraq (AP) - The soldier covered his face and wept.

It was a deep, sudden sobbing he couldn't control. His shoulders heaved. Tears wet the frayed cuffs of his green Iraqi army sweater.

He cried because he was alive. He cried because his family may think he's dead. He cried for his country. He cried because - for him - the war was over.

``I'm so sorry. Excuse me. I just can't stop,'' wept the soldier who fled Saddam Hussein's army and was taken Monday into the hands of U.S.-allied Iraqi Kurdish
fighters. ``Could this terrible time be over soon? Please, tell me.''

The soldier - part of a front-line unit - was among at least 18 Iraqi deserters who staggered into the Kurdish town of Kalak as U.S. warplanes stepped up airstrikes
on Iraqi positions near the Kurds' autonomous region. He agreed to share his story, but with conditions: no details about him or his military service could be
revealed. Call him Ali.

He feared Saddam loyalists could retaliate against his family. They may have already, he said.

``The army knows I ran away. They could come and take revenge,'' he said in the central police barracks in Kalak, about 20 miles northwest of the Kurdish
administrative center Irbil. ``My only hope is that I'm not alone. There are so many deserters and those who want to run. They cannot attack all these families with a
war going on.''

{..snip..see URL above for complete article..}

--0-708360435-1049142128=:38623

<P>Iraqi Deserter Tells of Desperation </P>
<P>By BRIAN MURPHY .c The Associated Press 3/31/03</P>
<P><A href="http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/apmideast_story.asp?category=1107&amp;slug=War%20Deserter's%20Story">http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/apmideast_story.asp?category=1107&amp;slug=War%20Deserter's%20Story</A></P>
<P>KALAK, Iraq (AP) - The soldier covered his face and wept. </P>
<P>It was a deep, sudden sobbing he couldn't control. His shoulders heaved. Tears wet the frayed cuffs of his green Iraqi army sweater. </P>
<P>He cried because he was alive. He cried because his family may think he's dead. He cried for his country. He cried because - for him - the war was over. </P>
<P>``I'm so sorry. Excuse me. I just can't stop,'' wept the soldier who fled Saddam Hussein's army and was taken Monday into the hands of U.S.-allied Iraqi Kurdish<BR>fighters. ``Could this terrible time be over soon? Please, tell me.'' </P>
<P>The soldier - part of a front-line unit - was among at least 18 Iraqi deserters who staggered into the Kurdish town of Kalak as U.S. warplanes stepped up airstrikes<BR>on Iraqi positions near the Kurds' autonomous region. He agreed to share his story, but with conditions: no details about him or his military service could be<BR>revealed. Call him Ali. </P>
<P>He feared Saddam loyalists could retaliate against his family. They may have already, he said. </P>
<P>``The army knows I ran away. They could come and take revenge,'' he said in the central police barracks in Kalak, about 20 miles northwest of the Kurdish<BR>administrative center Irbil. ``My only hope is that I'm not alone. There are so many deserters and those who want to run. They cannot attack all these families with a<BR>war going on.'' </P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
--0-708360435-1049142128=:38623--