[Vision2020] Nationalism In Iraq - Re: Umm Qasr

John Harrell johnbharrell@yahoo.com
Sun, 30 Mar 2003 14:09:20 -0800 (PST)

Iraqis in Umm Qasr Show Signs of Security

guardian
http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,1280,-2521324,00.html
3/30/03

UMM QASR, Iraq (AP) - The portrait of Saddam Hussein welcoming drivers to this port city
has been freshly painted over with three
red Xs. Overnight, locals say new slogans reading ``Death to Saddam'' and ``Down with
Saddam'' appeared on the walls at the market.

The new graffiti underlines the growing sense of security in this British-controlled
city. But even Iraqis arriving Sunday to seek jobs at
the port are hesitant to have their pictures taken - afraid Baghdad's agents are still on
the prowl and that the U.S.-led coalition won't
finish the liberation it started.

``I hope they continue doing what they are coming for and they get Saddam,'' Haider
Abduljabar Mrayir, 20, a former student who
was hoping to get hired at the port, said of the U.S. and British forces.

The job-seeking Iraqis were brought in military trucks and searched upon entering the Umm
Qasr port under the close watch of British
troops. Prospective employees were selected by the town council, which the military says
has no ties to Saddam's Baath Party. British
forces say they are trying to assure their new helpers that the coalition forces will
stay until the situation is stable.

``We're telling them that we're here to stay until they have a democracy, until they can
manage themselves,'' said Maj. Allen Poulson of
the Royal Logistics Corps, who is in charge of rehiring some 1,000 workers to operate the
port. ``What we want to do is give them
back their own job so we can give their port back to them and they can carry on with
their lives.''

Some workers said they were afraid of having their pictures taken for the jobs because
they still have relatives living in cities under
Iraqi government control.

``The British army is here, we are safe,'' said Yasser Hassan Ghanim, 22, who has been
unemployed since running away from the Iraqi
army in 2001. ``But we are afraid the armies will go back just like in 1991.''

``If Saddam Hussein is finished now, we are happy. But if not, we are still in danger,''
said Osamah Kadhem, 39, who was recently
rehired at the port, where he had previously been a supervisor for eight years. ``If they
find me working here, maybe they will kill me.''

{..snip..see URL above for complete artice..}