[Vision2020] Soldiers forced to become suicide bombers (Deserter:"everybody will rise up against Saddam")

John Harrell johnbharrell@yahoo.com
Sat, 29 Mar 2003 19:00:23 -0800 (PST)

Soldiers forced to become suicide bombers (Deserter:"everybody will rise up against
Saddam")

smh.com.au
March 30 2003, 3:15 AM

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/03/30/1048653918916.html

Iraqi soldiers are being forced by militias loyal to President Saddam Hussein to ride
motorbikes packed with explosives into coalition
forces and blow themselves up, a group of Iraqi deserters said today.

Five deserters, who turned themselves in but refused to be named for fear of reprisals
against their families, said they had been a given
a choice by members of the feared Fedayeen militia unit in the city of Basra of carrying
out suicide attacks or being shot, they told
reporters.

However, there have been no reports of any such attempt in Basra.

"They are forcing us to ride motorbikes carrying explosives. We have to ride them into
American or British positions," one 19-year-old
said speaking through an interpreter.

"If we don't we were told we would be shot."

Four US soldiers were killed today near the city of Najaf when a suicide bomber set off
his charge at a roadblock. It was the first
successful suicide attack of the 10-day-old US drive to topple Saddam.

State television said the bomber was an Iraqi army officer seeking to teach the Americans
a "lesson."

The bombing in Najaf, which also came amid calls by Muslim clerics for a holy war against
the invaders, signalled a new threat against
US-led forces already struggling with guerrilla tactics and attacks by soldiers disguised
as civilians.

Another of the deserters said that ruling Baath party loyalists had set up checkpoints
within Basra which has been besieged by British
forces.

A special rear guard execution squad had been set up to kill any fleeing regular
soldiers, he added.

The five said they had escaped from Basra last weekend and made their way south to this
port town which is now in coalition hands
and were turning themselves in as they were afraid of being handed in by Saddam
loyalists.

Another 19-year-old said that he had seen his brother shot in front of him.

"If they (the coalition) attack and finish Baghdad, everybody will rise up against
Saddam. It will be finished for him," he added.

The group spoke to journalists at the gates of a coalition compound where they were
waiting to be taken into the custody of British
soldiers.