[Vision2020] Nationalism In Iraq

Garrett Clevenger onewildearth@hotmail.com
Fri, 28 Mar 2003 22:54:49 -0800

One thing I find ironic is that you usually think of the citizens of a
country fighting for their own independence (ie, the American
Revolutionaries)  So suppose that the Iraqis heading back to their country
are really intent on fighting an invasion from a foreign country (even if it
is "clannism," they are still fighting for their independence).  Suppose
these revolutionaries win, while also overthrowing Saddam's regime.
Certainly we can't predict the future political system of Iraq, but in a
sense by securing their victory themselves, they have a bigger stake in
their country.  Like the American Revolutionaries who were in charge of
forming the US, they will then be in charge of forming Iraq.  This seems
fairer then an imposed political system by the US, even if it is democracy
we are trying to impose.

If the US defeats the Iraqi Revolutionaries, we will defeat the spirit that
is necessary for a countries self-determination.  Could you imagine France
imposing it's political views on America if they were soley responsible for
liberating the colonies from Britain?  One could argue that there are Iraqis
that want the US to impose its will on Iraq, but this is still a western
imposed value in the middle of the middle east.  Certainly this would be
better for US interests, but it is not the same as the people of a country
fighting for their own independence.

Just a different way of looking at this.  I won't say what is better, but it
is interesting to contemplate the different scenarios that could play out.
It is also interesting to see the passion of some Iraqis who are willing to
fight the US invasion, in spite of the harsh regime of Saddam that is now
present.

No matter what, the situation fills me with dread.

Thanks to everyone who replied to "Your Position on the War in Iraq" post.

Peace on,

Garrett Clevenger

http://www.icehouse.net/garrett

"What are we doing to our Home?!:("