[Vision2020] MSD financial condition

Shawn Clabough shawnc@outtrack.com
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 17:12:02 -0800

Something about using this rate for comparing to schools is that it uses a
general formula for determining inflation, taking all sectors into account.
It would be interesting to see an inflation rate calculated for only those
items that affect schools and where it would fall between 57% and 168% (or
elsewhere).  In my opinion, the rate would be much higher than 57%.

Shawn

-----Original Message-----
From: Dale Courtney [mailto:dale@courtneys.us]
Sent: Thursday, March 27, 2003 2:00 PM
To: vision2020@moscow.com
Subject: RE: [Vision2020] MSD financial condition

I've made it a point not to respond to Mr. Hansen any more, since, like his
economic thinking demonstrates, he's always off by 50 percent.

But his math is so outrageous that I cannot let his ignorance stand.

> It was previously stated that the current school budget is at
> 170% of the
> 1987/1988 budget.  Allowing 5% for inflation over that
> 15-year period and you
> will find that 170% is extremely low.  It should be over 200%
> of the 1987/1988
> budget based on an incremental increase of 5% each year for 15 years.
>
> Based on 5% inflation, $1,000 in 1987/1988 is comparable to
> $2,078.93 now.

Did you take Econ at UI? Math doesn't work that way.

You can run the real numbers over at:
http://inflationdata.com/inflation/Inflation_Rate/InflationCalculator.asp

The actual inflation from Jan 88 to Jan 03 was 57.04%

The actual increase in Idaho State Education Spending was 168% ($985.5M -
$367M).

> No wonder the school district is suffering.  Thanks, Mr.
> Courtney.  I am
> definitely voting in favor of the next levy.  Sounds like
> they can use the help.

Enjoy burying your head in the sand. You would support such an increase for
a student enrollment that has only gone up 16 percent. I expected nothing
less.

The question is -- will people who really wrestle with the data and think
about it (as opposed to responding emotionally and ignorantly) deal with it?