[Vision2020] MSD financial condition

Dale Courtney dale@courtneys.us
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 13:43:21 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_0011_01C2F466.D4B505B0

Mike,=20
=20
If I may -- a quick response to your points:=20

1.	Downsizing (or "right-sizing", as is the politically correct term
these days) goes for government business across the board -- including
schools. With enrollment down 13 percent, it doesn't make sense.=20
2.	I'm asking the question of whether the tax payers have gotten the
entire story and know all the information. Personally, I doubt it. As =
long
as liberals wave signs saying "Invest in Our Children", the war is waged =
on
emotions and not on the data.=20
3.	Buildings are fixed costs. It is irresponsible to slash the budget
86.2% in Facilities (and increase the budget in Support Services) and =
then
complain about the buildings "falling apart." Duh! But what MSD did was =
shift the money from facilities to salaries. Why? Because you can ask =
the
public for a levy to support the dilapidated buildings; they'll vote one
down for teacher salaries.=20
4.	Not only should MSD look at a reduction in teachers, they should
implement one!  Teachers are a variable cost. The variable ("product") =
is
students. If the student population is down 13 percent (390), then the
teachers/staff should be down 13 percent.=20
5.	You discuss increased class sizes. Let's talk about increased class
sizes after MSD "right-sizes" by 13 percent. Until that time, you've =
already
accomplished an increase in the teacher:student ratio (by 13%).=20

Best,
Dale