[Vision2020] MSD financial condition

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold@hotmail.com
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 22:43:56 -0800

<P>Dale, </P>
<P>The reason why education is hurting, regardless of the 5-10 students less per grade between K-12 is&nbsp;four fold:</P>
<P>1) The state&nbsp; funding for education has been drastically cut. This means that the local area governments must make for this difference. That means the property owner.</P>
<P>2) The cost of education has significatly increased over the last ten years, about 100-200%</P>
<P>3) Often times the number of students helps, not hurts, the&nbsp;education districts because the state divides the amount of state aid according to the population. If Moscow has a decrease in population and CD'A, Boise, Eagle, and Sandpoint have an increase, Moscow get an even smaller&nbsp;percentage of the state funding pie, this pie is also smaller.</P>
<P>4) The buildings and facilities are falling apart, it costs a great deal to rebuild and maintain&nbsp;them. </P>
<P>I really think you need to do more research then looking at just government documents that are often misleading or&nbsp;broken up into pieces that don't always seem how they look.&nbsp;UI books are the worst, but Moscow does not keep the greatest of records either. Budgets are tricky and complicated and other only projected costs, a best guess so to speak. The only numbers that are usually reliable and understandable are the ones that definitions and are two or three years. Do you really think we have any idea as to how many students there will be MSD in 2005 or 2006?</P>
<P>Donovan Arnold</P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;From: "Dale Courtney" <DALE@COURTNEYS.US>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;To: <VISION2020@MOSCOW.COM>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Subject: RE: [Vision2020] MSD financial condition
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 20:40:58 -0800
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;My apologies, all. The JPEG image size said that it was 39 Kb; but when it
<DIV></DIV>&gt;went out, it appears it was 1 Mb!
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Mea culpa
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Dale
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;-----Original Message-----
<DIV></DIV>&gt;From: Dale Courtney [mailto:dale@courtneys.us]
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Sent: Wednesday, 26 March, 2003 20:26
<DIV></DIV>&gt;To: 'Vision2020'
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Subject: RE: [Vision2020] MSD financial condition
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;An interesting corollary is the student enrollment numbers at MSD. According
<DIV></DIV>&gt;to MSD enrollment data
<DIV></DIV>&gt;(http://www.sd281.k12.id.us/GeneralInformation/files/Enrollment.pdf),
<DIV></DIV>&gt;enrollment has been decreasing at a rate of 13% in 5 years.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;That means we're down 390 this year!
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Can someone please tell me what all the screaming for more funds is about?
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;I have a follow-on question: the rate of student decrease has been ~2.6% per
<DIV></DIV>&gt;year. However, MSD extrapolated that starting in 2003 and beyond, that would
<DIV></DIV>&gt;change to 1.4% per year.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;