[Vision2020] "Chevron" and "Shell" Military Bases in Iraq

Garrett Clevenger onewildearth@hotmail.com
Tue, 25 Mar 2003 07:11:41 -0800

While I agree with Don Kaag that naming these oil fields is not a sinister
oil cartel plot, I still think using these names for military bases is
improper.

I would assume the planners would know this war has a lot to do with image
and public perception.  The situation in the middle east right now is very
tense.  There are people in the middle east who view this invasion as
imperialism.  There is no reason to inflame the feeling by naming military
bases after oil companies.

I have 2 family members serving in the military over there right now.  I
want this war to end.  I don't want suicidal people targeting our military.
I want everyone to come home alive.  It does not seem prudent to endanger
our military any more than neccesary and I believe that means considering
public perception of what is going on.  These names run contrary to that.

Garrett Clevenger

http://www.icehouse.net/garrett

"What are we doing to the middle east?!:("