[Vision2020] Status of UI Agnostic/Atheist Organization

Ted Moffett ted_moffett@hotmail.com
Mon, 17 Mar 2003 05:36:42 +0000

Luminaries:

One of the illustrious vision2020 subscribers contacted me this weekend to
assert that my statement, in a vision2020 post with the subject heading
"Liberal Thinking," about a U of I agnostic/atheist organization, was
"Wrong."  The statement was: "The U of I had such a group formed just
recently."

A quick check of the U of I web page shows under registered student
organizations exactly the group that I was referring to.   They have an
address listed under ASUI OFFICE.

I saw advertising for this group in the past year and it mentioned their
defense of agnostic and/or atheist thinking.  I think that if students form
such an organization, considering that students are a part of the U of I and
pay to support the university, it is fair to say that  "The U of I had such
a group formed just recently."  To avoid any misunderstanding about who
formed the group it would have been more specific to say "U of I students
formed such a group recently."  But this is an officially registered
organization at the U of I.  If students are a legitimate part of the U of
I, then what I wrote is true, though lacking in specifics.

I am posting this info to vision2020 with a clarification that the group I
referred to is a student organization and was not formed by the U of I
administration, or the Board of Regents, or Faculty, etc.

The organization is:

"Freethinkers for Science and Reason"

Their listing under the listings for student organizations is at:

http://stuorgs.uidaho.edu/org.php?id=138931

Their web page is:

http://stuorgs.uidaho.edu/~freethinkers/

Ted