[Vision2020] Re: Liberal Thinking

Ted Moffett ted_moffett@hotmail.com
Sat, 15 Mar 2003 23:52:39 +0000

Hey Ben and others:

I hope you read my tongue in cheek statements about liberal thinking and
sexism in the mood of humorous satire intended.

Well, if Logos allows their building to be used for activities that some
might say are excluding girls, this is their choice, is it not?  They could
make a statement by declaring publicly that they will not offer their
facilities to be used by any group that excludes girls over boys in an
educational or personal enrichment activity, could they not?  Then does not
the critique I made still have some merit?

Imagine the local atheist/agnostic group (I believe the U of I had such a
group formed just recently) wanted to hold a "Boxing Night" fundraiser to
promote their cause and approached Logos to rent facilities.  Do you think
Logos would agree?

You make it sound as though there is no connection between Logos and the
activities of Bonham sports clubs except some rent money handed over.
Though you may have a legal technical point, there clearly are connections
between Logos and Bonham sports clubs that are more than just a
disinterested party, Logos, renting a facility to a group that has no stake
in Logos students or educational activities.

Please understand that my main concern is the promotion of violence via
boxing or other violent sports.  I really do not want to see girls boxing,
though in fairness I think boxing should be offered equally to girls if it
is offered to boys.  And yes, I view football at Moscow High school as an
example of promotion of a violent activity and/or mentality and sexism.  I
also know very well how unpopular such an attitude is.  You'd think I was
attacking mom, the flag and apple pie by some of the responses I have
received to my views on football.

Awaiting your reply.

Ted