[Vision2020] Canadian bacon

Don Kaag dkaag@turbonet.com
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 17:13:18 -0800

--Apple-Mail-4-577721605

Aaron:

Interesting post on the Canadian snipers in Afghanistan.

And in fact, when the Marine Corps decided to get back into the sniper=20=

training business in the late 1970's, having abandoned the program=20
after Vietnam 5 years earlier, the Canadian Forces were one of the=20
places we went to observe their sniper training and fieldcraft while=20
writing the new training syllabus and designing the current program.

The record distance shot, however, as far as I know, is USMC SGT(Later=20=

Warrant Officer...) Carlos Heathcock's 2500 meter, one-shot, kill of a=20=

North Vietnamese general in front of his headquarters villa in Laos. =20
Carlos didn't get a medal, either.  (Just the admiration of a very=20
select fraternity of men, and a shot that is now legend.)

Regards,

Don

On Thursday, March 13, 2003, at 02:35 PM, Ron Force wrote:

> As you may remember, the US Air Force snuffed four Canadian soldiers=20=

> with a "misdirected" bomb.=A0 Just rehearsing for the next one after=20=

> Iraq?
> =A0
> Ron Force=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 =A0 =A0 rforce@moscow.com
>
> Moscow=A0Idaho USA

--Apple-Mail-4-577721605

Aaron:

Interesting post on the Canadian snipers in Afghanistan. =20

And in fact, when the Marine Corps decided to get back into the sniper
training business in the late 1970's, having abandoned the program
after Vietnam 5 years earlier, the Canadian Forces were one of the
places we went to observe their sniper training and fieldcraft while
writing the new training syllabus and designing the current program.

The record distance shot, however, as far as I know, is USMC SGT(Later
Warrant Officer...) Carlos Heathcock's 2500 meter, one-shot, kill of a
North Vietnamese general in front of his headquarters villa in Laos.=20
Carlos didn't get a medal, either.  (Just the admiration of a very
select fraternity of men, and a shot that is now legend.)

Regards,

Don

you may remember, the US Air Force snuffed four Canadian soldiers with
a "misdirected" bomb.=A0 Just rehearsing for the next one after =

=A0

<smaller>********************************************

Ron Force=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0 =A0 =A0
=
underline></smaller>

<smaller>Moscow=A0Idaho USA

</smaller>

<bold>From:</bold> vision2020-admin@moscow.com
[mailto:vision2020-admin@moscow.com]<bold>On Behalf Of </bold>Aaron
Schneider

<bold>Sent:</bold> Thursday, March 13, 2003 2:22 PM

<bold>To:</bold> vision2020@moscow.com

<bold>Subject:</bold> RE: [Vision2020] Canadian bacon

</smaller></fontfamily>Indeed, Canada does have a militiary.=A0 In fact,
after the action in Afghanistan, we tried to present a group of
Canadian snipers with medals for their extraordinary skill in combat.=A0
I believe one Canadian sniper even set a new record for a long
distance=A0kill under combat conditions (2400 meteres if I recall
correctly).

The Canadian brass wasn't so=A0keen on=A0the idea, though.=A0 They cited
popular Canadian thinking, saying that most civilians have a hard
time=A0believing their soldiers actually killing people (I'm not sure if
the medals ever actually did get presented).

It is this Canadian sentiment, along with them not being a militiary
powerhouse, that leads people to think=A0Canada=A0has no=A0militiary.

-Aaron

=A0

</excerpt>=

--Apple-Mail-4-577721605--