[Vision2020] Finger Pointing and Labeling?

Ted Moffett ted_moffett@hotmail.com
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 11:19:00 +0000

Mike et. al.

You posted a critique containing some rather serious slams against my
writing.  Show the courtesy of reading the following and offering a reasoned
explanation to justify your claims.

Below is your vision2020 post regarding my "original attack of a religious
group," as you phrased it, and my post in question is below that.  I assume
this vision2020 post is the one you are referring to because you mention the
subject heading involved.

I will try to make sense of your post with specific references to my text.

You state that you were offended by "characterizations, finger-pointing, and
labeling" which I assume you thought was directed against "the religious
group."

In my first paragraph I give a short explanation of why a Christian school
might not push the liberal enlightenment agenda of treating the sexes
equally in sports.  I quote a local Christian writer, Doug Jones, who has
explained what he sees as the error in liberal thinking which attempts to
"deny differences" and the resultant reasonable divergence in the way the
sexes may be treated.  I do not see the content in this paragraph that is so
offensive.  In fact, I demonstrate the results of an honest attempt to
understand a Christian point of view, and I have defended the thinking of
local Christian thinkers on vision2020 when I thought they were correct.

My second paragraph is meant to be funny and absurd but with a point: the
link between the violent sports of youth, warfare, and how ideologies are
spread throughout history by the use of force.  The image of an all female
Goddess worshiping warrior society suggested by the use of the word
"amazonian" is meant to humorously contrast with the patriarchal male
centered warrior societies of Christianity.  Perhaps you think the very
suggestion that Christianity has any historical links to warfare to be an
unfair or malicious characterization, but to ignore this historical fact and
call such a reference "finger-pointing and labeling" suggests you advocate
censorship of facts.

My next sentence only states in general that there is a connection between
violent sports for male youth and their preparation for war.  It was not an
oversight that I mentioned this connection with absolutely no mention of
what religions or nations or ideologies are involved in training male youth
for war.  No finger pointing or labeling here.

In the next paragraph I make the explicit connection between Christianity
and warfare, mentioning Christianity's use of force to spread the word.  Do
you think this fact of history should not be mentioned?

I don't see this as "finger-pointing and labeling" when in the next
paragraph I explicitly state that I do not mean to pick on Christianity.

I assert that all major ideologies have used force to spread their beliefs.
I ask for counter examples to my assertion!  A counter example to my
proposition would have been useful, Mike!

I wonder if you really read what I wrote.  How can I be "finger-pointing and
labeling" about a religious group when the critique I made of youth being
prepared for warfare via violent sports is something I imply every society
pushing every major ideology is implicated in throughout history.

My final paragraph is meant to be a sobering reminder that as a species we
must adopt a more pacifistic mentality or the power of scientific warfare
could lead to our extinction.  No blame for this is placed on any group
whatsoever.

I conclude from my analysis of your comments regarding my vision2020 post in
question that you demonstrated a lack of careful reading of my meaning, at
best, or at worst you engaged in an attempt to discredit the legitimacy of
my suggestions regarding violent sports, religion, ideology, warfare and the
importance of lessening the war-like tendencies of humanity, without
offering any specifics.

I suggest that if you are going to post a negative reply to a post you at
least mention the specific statement or statements that you find offensive.

Ted

Mike Curley's vision2020 post dated 3-13-2003:

Ted:
I thought your original attack of a religious group was inappropriate on
this list regardless of how much I might disagree with the philosophy or
practices of the religious group. I was offended by your characterizations,
finger- pointing, and labeling as I would have been had you attacked my
Jewish, atheist, Muslim, agnostic, Buddhist, or other (non-"fundamentalist")
Christian friends. This is indeed a public list, but I don't think that
means that anyone you want to criticize, and any way you want to criticize
them, is fair game. However, since no one ever seems to want to take the
continuing religious philosophy discussions off list, I would just ask one
thing. Please retain the "subject" thread in continuing posts (amazonian
goddesses) so that the multitude of us who want can readily identify and
delete the messages. Thank you.

Ted Moffett's post referred to by Mike Curley:

All:

The very suggestion that Trinitarians' would model their sports programs on
the government school regulations mandating women's sports is unthinkable.
After all, "equality denies difference," to quote Doug Jones, and
Trinitarians' clearly think men and women are different in ways that mandate
they not be given equal treatment, both in chest exposure and exposure to
the rigors of sports.

I would love to match the buffed and trained female "amazonian" children of
gay Goddess worshiping feminist female parents (Don Kaag take note) in
battle against the Trinitarian boys.  Who cares about facts and reason,
let's settle this in battle, and let children and youth fight to promote our
cause!  Surely I jest, but after all, is this not how the dominant
ideologies of the world have spread their beliefs throughout history?

Let's not be so naive as to think that the violence of sports for male youth
has no connection to preparation for warfare.

No one should blink an eye at the endorsement of warrior sports for the
males being raised in a fundamentalist Christian tradition.  Christianity
has been spread by the sword when it could not succeed by "peaceful" means
to convert the natives.  This is a fact of history that of course will be
denied and put through the spin filters of those wishing to place
Christianity in a more favorable light.

But I don't mean to pick on Christianity here, though it is the dominant
religion of our country.  All MAJOR ideologies use violence to promote their
beliefs.  If someone can provide an counter example, I would be grateful.
In anticipation of exceptions I will comment that sadly the ideology of
pacifism is a NOT a major ideology in our world, nor has it ever been.

There is still time for pacifism to become a dominant ideology before the
prevalent attitude of the use of violence to settle conflict leads to
technological and scientific based warfare that could lead to the extinction
of the human race or to a result that will leave the survivors wishing they
were extinct.

Ted