[Vision2020] Letter from Rep. Trail to Governor Kempthorne on public education

Tina Cunningham kittz_cat@yahoo.com
Mon, 10 Mar 2003 22:00:49 -0800 (PST)

GOOD WORK MR. TRAIL.......FINALLY A PERSON THAT
ACTUALLY CARES ABOUT OUR CHILDREN'S FUTURE!!!!!

...and another thing......why is it that our state
government is so determined to rob from our
future.....yet they cannot give up a couple thousand
dollars a year of their salary to support education?
Stop spending like a spoiled rich kid and be
CONSERVATIVE.

(no....I'm not bitter! )  :)

Christina Cunningham
Moscow

--- Tom Trail <RepTrail@infotrail.com> wrote:
> Visionnaires:  I sent the following letter to
> Governor Kempthorne today.
>
> Rep. Tom Trail/Dist. 6
>

> March 10, 2003
>
> Governor Dirk Kempthorne
> Capitol
> Boise, Idaho
>
> Dear Governor Kempthorne:
>
> In the past I've greatly appreciated your support
> for public education.
> Our teachers are responding to the increasing
> demands that the State is
> requiring of them in the public school classroom.
> In addition to their
> regular teaching duties, we are now requiring
> teachers to carry out
> additional responsibilities in the fields of
> technology, the Idaho
> Reading Initiative, Idaho Achievement Standards and
> Assessment, realign
> the curriculum to meet the standards, and all of the
> added facets of
> Leave No Child Behind.  In addition, the percentage
> of children
> identified for special education programs is
> multiplying demands on
> teacher's time with their students.  They are doing
> all of this in a
> time of decreasing resources.  Their dedication and
> commitment needs to
> be recognized.
>
> Instead, I find that this legislative session is one
> of the most
> anti-teacher/education oriented sessions in the
> history of the State of
> Idaho.  With decreasing resources for education at
> all levels, all of
> the stakeholders including the Legislature and your
> office should be
> working together to strengthen our commitment to the
> children of the
> state.
>
> President Bush articulated his admiration and
> support for our teachers
> when he signed the Education bill last fall.  He
> stressed that teachers
> need to be supported and treated as professionals.
> The President
> indicated that the average teacher spends more than
> $400/year in
> out-of-pocket money to purchase classroom supplies.
> His response to
> this situation was to support a $250 tax credit for
> teachers to use when
> they file their federal income tax to reclaim some
> of the money they
> spend for class activities.  We should look at our
> President's example
> as an inspiration on how elected officials should
> view and work with our
> teachers.
>
> Instead, I find a mean spirited and vindictive
> Legislature attacking
> teachers and the education community on all sides.
> The first blow was
> denying teachers a simple $15 Idaho tax credit to
> pay for out of pocket
> supplies for their classrooms.  I've talked to one
> local Moscow teacher
> [...]

=====
"Would you not like to be.....sittin on top of the world with your legs hanging free....."  **Dave Matthews Band