[Vision2020] fighting for girls, too

Joe Huffman JoeH@turbonet.com
Thu, 6 Mar 2003 04:17:38 -0800

mailto:phone@joehuffman.org (Cell phone text message 110 chars max)

-----Original Message-----
From: vision2020-admin@moscow.com [mailto:vision2020-admin@moscow.com]On
Behalf Of Sharon Sullivan
Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2003 1:33 AM
To: vision2020@moscow.com
Subject: [Vision2020] fighting for girls, too

  Visionaries,

  This may shock some of you who may know me as an advocate of non-violence.
I don't believe in offensive fighting.  But, in terms of self-defense, we
should be teaching our girls, not our boys, to fight!

  Girls and women should know how to defend themselves.  If any segment of
the population is more likely to be assaulted, it is FEMALES, not males, and
it is usually in the form of sexual persuasion, date rape, incest, domestic
violence, etc.  What are the current figures?  1 in 3 women is forced to
have sex against their will.  I've also heard 1 in 6?  As females, we are
conditioned to freeze in fear and often even lose the voice or courage to
shout, scream or yell 'NO!'  How many times do we see the image of the
helpless female in the media?
   88% of all rapes occur without any resistance on the part of the victim,
less than 10% of rapists have any weapon, and convicted rapists have
completed on average 45 sexual assaults before they are even caught as
suspects, let alone the paltry conviction rate.

  A program called MODEL MUGGING teaches self-defense from a female
perspective in an emotionally supportive environment.  It is safe, done in a
padded environment, and the "assailant" is padded up like the Michelin Man
and also holds a martial arts black belt.  It is FULL FORCE CONTACT
FIGHTING, at full decibels, where females can find their voice to shout NO
at the top of their lungs.  The point is not to hurt the attacker, but to
get away.  Females learn that you can't win a fight 'guy style' with upper
body swinging...they almost always have longer arms.  We learned that our
strength is in the hips and on the ground, and in staying calm, breathing,
and waiting for an opening...  You have to experience it to understand.  It
is a repetitve training for the body so that you are training your reflexes,
not your mind to be violent.  It does not work in an offensive situation.
It is using the expectation of most attackers that you will not fight and
will freeze like we are conditioned to do.  It is trying to make the world
safer for women, one woman at a time.

  I took Model Mugging 14 years ago and I believe it still serves me as I go
out into the world in peace, knowing that I don't have to be afraid, that my
instincts will serve me in a pinch... (Note, this is not a challenge, and I
hope I'll never have to put it to the test).  Model Mugging also helped me
find my voice to say NO! in other non-violent instances where I might be
cajoled or expected to acquiesce.

  I believe that all girls should have the opportunity to take the Model
Mugging program in high school, if they so desire.  Since the legal and
social system  doesn't protect sexual assault victims, another remedy must
be tried.  There are programs throughout the U.S., though none in Idaho that
I know of.  Contact Model Mugging 1-800-345-KICK or at www.bamm.org for more
info.

  Unfortunately, the world is still a savage place, regardless of lofty
notions of humans 'dominion over animals'.  These days, with slaughter and
dismemberment discussed  daily by our society, we are showing our common
nature with animals in primitive predatorial style.  Perhaps some day humans
will remember their frontal lobes before their instincts, but until then,
TEACH THE GIRLS TO RESIST & ESCAPE!

  Respectfully,
  Sharon Sullivan

------=_NextPart_000_0043_01C2E397.52C53D20

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1141" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D567031012-06032003><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =
size=3D2>I=20
agree with you 100% about our daughters being taught to defend =
themselves.&nbsp;=20
My kids were told they couldn't date until they finished three=20
classes:</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D567031012-06032003><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =

size=3D2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D567031012-06032003><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =
size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://www.insightstraining.com/ps/courses/unarm/usd.htm">http://=
www.insightstraining.com/ps/courses/unarm/usd.htm</A>&nbsp;(unarmed=20
self-defense)</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D567031012-06032003><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =
size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://www.insightstraining.com/ps/courses/unarm/dfk.htm">http://=
www.insightstraining.com/ps/courses/unarm/dfk.htm</A>&nbsp;(defensive=20
folding knife)</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D567031012-06032003><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =
size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://www.joehuffman.org/firearms/classes.htm">http://www.joehuf=
fman.org/firearms/classes.htm</A>&nbsp;(NRA=20
Personal Protection -- defensive handgun)</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D567031012-06032003><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =
size=3D2>The=20
youngest still has to&nbsp;take the&nbsp;unarmed class&nbsp;-- scheduled =
for=20
May, but my kids will be not be 'soft targets' for=20
predators.</FONT></SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D567031012-06032003><FONT face=3DArial color=3D#0000ff =

size=3D2></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN class=3D567031012-06032003></SPAN><FONT size=3D2>
<P><FONT size=3D2>-joe-<BR>----<BR><A =
href=3D"http://www.joehuffman.org/"=20
target=3D_blank>http://www.joehuffman.org</A><BR><A=20
href=3D"http://www.modernballistics.com/"=20
target=3D_blank>http://www.modernballistics.com</A><BR><A=20
href=3D"http://www.boomershoot.org/"=20
target=3D_blank>http://www.boomershoot.org</A><BR><A=20
href=3D"mailto:email@joehuffman.org">mailto:email@joehuffman.org</A><BR><=
A=20
href=3D"mailto:phone@joehuffman.org">mailto:phone@joehuffman.org</A> =
(Cell phone=20
text message 110 chars max) </FONT></P></FONT><FONT face=3DTahoma=20
size=3D2>-----Original Message-----<BR><B>From:</B> =
vision2020-admin@moscow.com=20
[mailto:vision2020-admin@moscow.com]<B>On Behalf Of </B>Sharon=20
Sullivan<BR><B>Sent:</B> Thursday, March 06, 2003 1:33 AM<BR><B>To:</B>=20
vision2020@moscow.com<BR><B>Subject:</B> [Vision2020] fighting for =
girls,=20
too<BR><BR></FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE><FONT face=3DGaramond>Visionaries,<BR><BR>This may shock =
some of you=20
  who may know me as an advocate of non-violence. I don't believe in =
offensive=20
  fighting.&nbsp; But, in terms of self-defense, we should be teaching =
our=20
  girls, not our boys, to fight!<BR><BR>Girls and women should know how =
to=20
  defend themselves.&nbsp; If any segment of the population is more =
likely to be=20
  assaulted, it is FEMALES, not males, and it is usually in the form of =
sexual=20
  persuasion, date rape, incest, domestic violence, etc.&nbsp; What are =
the=20
  current figures?&nbsp; 1 in 3 women is forced to have sex against =
their=20
  will.&nbsp; I've also heard 1 in 6?&nbsp; As females, we are =
conditioned to=20
  freeze in fear and often even lose the voice or courage to shout, =
scream or=20
  yell 'NO!'&nbsp; How many times do we see the image of the helpless =
female in=20
  the media?<BR>&nbsp;88% of all rapes occur without any resistance on =
the part=20
  of the victim, less than 10% of rapists have any weapon, and convicted =
rapists=20
  have completed on average 45 sexual assaults before they are even =
caught as=20
  suspects, let alone the paltry conviction rate.<BR><BR>A program =
called MODEL=20
  MUGGING teaches self-defense from a female perspective in an =
emotionally=20
  supportive environment.&nbsp; It is safe, done in a padded =
environment, and=20
  the "assailant" is padded up like the Michelin Man and also holds a =
martial=20
  arts black belt.&nbsp; It is FULL FORCE CONTACT FIGHTING, at full =
decibels,=20
  where females can find their voice to shout NO at the top of their=20
  lungs.&nbsp; The point is not to hurt the attacker, but to get =
away.&nbsp;=20
  Females learn that you can't win a fight 'guy style' with upper body=20
  swinging...they almost always have longer arms.&nbsp; We learned that =
our=20
  strength is in the hips and on the ground, and in staying calm, =
breathing, and=20
  waiting for an opening...&nbsp; You have to experience it to =
understand.&nbsp;=20
  It is a repetitve training for the body so that you are training your=20
  reflexes, not your mind to be violent.&nbsp; It does not work in an =
offensive=20
  situation.&nbsp; It is using the expectation of most attackers that =
you will=20
  not fight and will freeze like we are conditioned to do.&nbsp; It is =
trying to=20
  make the world safer for women, one woman at a time.<BR><BR>I took =
Model=20
  Mugging 14 years ago and I believe it still serves me as I go out into =
the=20
  world in peace, knowing that I don't have to be afraid, that my =
instincts will=20
  serve me in a pinch... (Note, this is not a challenge, and I hope I'll =
never=20
  have to put it to the test).&nbsp; Model Mugging also helped me find =
my voice=20
  to say NO! in other non-violent instances where I might be cajoled or =
expected=20
  to acquiesce.<BR><BR>I believe that all girls should have the =
opportunity to=20
  take the Model Mugging program in high school, if they so =
desire.&nbsp; Since=20
  the legal and social system&nbsp; doesn't protect sexual assault =
victims,=20
  another remedy must be tried.&nbsp; There are programs throughout the =
U.S.,=20
  though none in Idaho that I know of.&nbsp; Contact Model Mugging=20
  1-800-345-KICK or at <A href=3D"http://www.bamm.org/"=20
  eudora=3D"autourl">www.bamm.org</A> for more =
info.<BR><BR>Unfortunately, the=20
  world is still a savage place, regardless of lofty notions of humans =
'dominion=20
  over animals'.&nbsp; These days, with slaughter and dismemberment=20
  discussed&nbsp; daily by our society, we are showing our common nature =
with=20
  animals in primitive predatorial style.&nbsp; Perhaps some day humans =
will=20
  remember their frontal lobes before their instincts, but until then, =
TEACH THE=20
  GIRLS TO RESIST &amp; ESCAPE!<BR><BR>Respectfully,<BR>Sharon=20
  Sullivan<BR><BR></FONT><BR></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0043_01C2E397.52C53D20--