[Vision2020] In defense of beating people up...

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment@hotmail.com
Wed, 5 Mar 2003 21:55:01 -0800

------=_NextPart_001_0001_01C2E361.DF34D670

Hwaet, we visionaries,

As an Anglo-Saxonist (ABD from The Ohio State University), I must protest=
 the grotesque and repeated misuse of Beowulf as a defense for putting ch=
ildren in a ring and encouraging them to hit one another.  What in the wo=
rld does the legend of a Geat who ripped the arm off a monster have to do=
 with boxing?  Beowulf also killed the monster's mother, who in some ways=
 was more terrible than Grendel himself.  Are you trying to suggest that =
Rosemary should sleep uneasily in her cave?  If so, I can only assure you=
 that she would have had Beowulf for lunch.

Beowulf is a beautiful poem, terrible and sad.  The translation Mr. Downe=
y cites does not do it justice.  Neither does his interpretation.  It is =
an amazing flight of fancy to imagine that forty young striplings at a bo=
xing match in Moscow, Idaho are in any way comparable to the heroes of ep=
ic poetry.  Good heavens above, what next?  Will you be passing the mead =
cup instead of the spit bucket?  Claiming maidens as spoil?  We're talkin=
g about grade school kids and teenyboppers fighting.  This is not Homeric=
; it's homeroom-ic.    =20

Literature has the power to render seductive and appealing any number of =
things we ought not to do.  So does the TV show Jackass.  I'm a fan of bo=
xing (though not for small children), but this warrior horse hockey is ma=
king me sick.  Defend it as a sport, but let's leave Tolkien, Lewis, and =
Chesterton where they belong, in their mossy graves, spinning.

Auntie Establishment/Joan Opyr

          Get more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download : http://exp=
lorer.msn.com

------=_NextPart_001_0001_01C2E361.DF34D670

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV>Hwaet, we visi=
onaries,</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>As an Anglo-Saxonist (ABD from The =
Ohio State University), I must protest the grotesque and repeated misuse =
of Beowulf as a defense for putting children in a&nbsp;ring and encouragi=
ng them to hit one another.&nbsp; What in the world does&nbsp;the legend =
of a&nbsp;Geat who&nbsp;ripped the arm off&nbsp;a monster&nbsp;have to do=
 with boxing?&nbsp; Beowulf also killed the monster's mother, who in some=
 ways was more terrible than Grendel himself.&nbsp; Are you trying to sug=
gest that Rosemary should sleep uneasily in her cave?&nbsp; If so, I can =
only assure you that she would have had Beowulf for lunch.</DIV> <DIV>&nb=
sp;</DIV> <DIV>Beowulf is a beautiful poem, terrible and&nbsp;sad.&nbsp;&=
nbsp;The&nbsp;translation&nbsp;Mr. Downey cites does not do it justice.&n=
bsp; Neither does his interpretation.&nbsp;&nbsp;It is an amazing flight =
of fancy to imagine that forty young striplings at a boxing match in Mosc=
ow, Idaho are in any way comparable to the heroes of epic poetry.&nbsp; G=
ood heavens above, what next?&nbsp;&nbsp;Will you be passing the mead cup=
 instead of the spit bucket?&nbsp; Claiming maidens as spoil?&nbsp; We're=
 talking about grade school kids and teenyboppers&nbsp;fighting.&nbsp; Th=
is is not Homeric;&nbsp;it's homeroom-ic.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </DIV> <DIV>&=
nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Literature has the power to render seductive and&nbsp;ap=
pealing any number of things we ought not to do.&nbsp; So does the TV sho=
w Jackass.&nbsp; I'm a fan of boxing (though not&nbsp;for small children)=
, but this warrior horse hockey is making me sick.&nbsp; Defend it as a s=
port, but let's leave Tolkien, Lewis, and Chesterton where they belong, i=
n&nbsp;their mossy graves,&nbsp;spinning.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Au=
ntie Establishment/Joan Opyr</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </DIV></BODY></HTML><br clear=3Da=
ll><hr>Get more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download : <a href=3D'ht=

------=_NextPart_001_0001_01C2E361.DF34D670--