[Vision2020] The UI Friday Letter

Thomas Hansen tomh@FNA.fsn.uidaho.edu
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 16:30:53 -0800

Provided below is an update from University Communications and Marketing
concerning the arrest on Wednesday.  This should clarify any questions
concerning where the university stands on issues that werebrought up earlier
on this listserve.

Tom Hansen
Moscow

-----Original Message-----
From: University Communications and Marketing [mailto:almsrv@uidaho.edu]
Sent: Friday, February 28, 2003 4:19 PM
To: Thomas Hansen (V00016179)
Subject: The Friday Letter

University of Idaho
Office of the President
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3151
Phone: 208-885-6365
Fax: 208-885-6558

The Friday Letter
A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends
February 28, 2003

Here is the latest news from the University of Idaho:

* At 4 a.m. Wednesday morning, a Saudi Arabian graduate student at UI, Sami
Omar Al-Hussayen, was arrested at his home in Married Student Housing. He
was
charged with seven counts of visa fraud and four counts of making false
statements to American authorities about the significant financial and
operational role he allegedly played with an organization in the Detroit,
Mich., area known as the Islamic Assembly of North America. Authorities
conducted searches of his home, UI office and vehicle, and the investigation

is continuing. An indictment against Mr. Al-Hussayen alleges he owned and
administered websites with the purpose of instigating acts of violence and
terrorism. The indictment also alleges that Al-Hussayen maintained at least
six U. S. bank accounts, which received and transferred large sums of monies

to the IANA and other organizations and individuals.

Al-Hussayen pleaded innocent during an arraignment in federal district court
in
Boise on Thursday. A hearing will be held March 11 in Boise to determine
whether
he may be released from jail until his April 15 trial. "It is important to
remember that this is an indictment, an accusation," President Bob Hoover
said.
"Mr. Al-Hussayen is innocent until proven guilty."

Provost Brian Pitcher reaffirmed the institution's commitment to
international
students. "First and foremost, I want to assure every University of Idaho
student -
in-state, out-of-state, American citizen, foreign national, undergraduate
and
graduate - that your presence here is valued," he said. "I understand the
trauma
and concerns the events of the past week have caused - especially for
international students. We reaffirm our welcome and inclusion of students
from
other countries and cultures. Let each of us remember that our community is
stronger
because of its diversity, our perspectives broadened by the presence and
involvement
of our international community."

The FBI assured university officials that there is no immediate risk to
campus safety
or security. Classes and operations have continued as scheduled.

* President Hoover will begin his leave March 1. "My cancer surgery is
scheduled for
mid-April, and I hope to spend the next several weeks preparing for that
physically
and emotionally," Hoover said. "There never is a 'good time' to step away
from the
duties of the presidency, however, I have full confidence in the ability of
Provost
Brian Pitcher, who will be acting president, to take care of business in my
absence."
The Idaho Board of Education has appointed Pitcher acting president. Charles
R. Hatch,
vice president for research and outreach, will serve as acting provost, and
Margrit
von Braun, associate vice president for research, will serve as acting vice
president
for research and outreach.

For more information about these items, please contact University
Communications and
Marketing at (208) 885-6291 or uinews@uidaho.edu

University Communications and Marketing would like to continue sending you
the Friday
Letter via e-mail. However, if you wish to be removed from the mailing list
or to
receive it at a different e-mail address, please respond back to this
message.